87 Iroc z z28 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 87 Iroc z z28 restoration

I picked up this 87 Iroc z z28 convertible. It is a 305 tpi with a 5 speed manual transmission. It was sitting behind a guys scrap shop for the last 4 years. I saw it on craigslist and went to check it out. The convertible top is damaged slightly, and the back plastic window was caved in last winter from being burried in snow. The interior carpet and seats are basicly junk, and needs a new top. The body is in really good shape other than needing a paint job. I havent heard it run yet, he said the fuel pump was probably gone and the gas is probably bad. Im having it towed to my buddy's shop tommorow, to take a better look underneath and probably do the fuel pump. Im not a mechanic, but i had a 92 25th anaversery z28 automatic when i was 17 so i want that feeling of the old z28 back, (my dad sold that one on me). So i cant find much on the frame work of the old top, becasue chevy sent them out to be converted or something like that. The passenger side hinge/arm/frame thing has a bolt that was striped out of it, and it seems to be a pivot point and the bolt dosent back out of it, so im not sure how im gonna fix that, i saw the whole passenger side piece on ebay for $400 but i dont want to spend that just because the bolt is striped out. Also the first bow after the top of the windshield seems to sag down? Does anyone know where to find info on the workings of the convertible top? And my speedometer only goes to 70? is that normal for a 87 iroc z? any info would help.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

i know a friend of mine has a bunch of convertibles. He cuts all his cars up so you might be able to get some parts from him. I'll call him and see what he's got available. If not I think places like classic industries would have all the stuff you need OER

Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That would be great, because im not having much luck finding what i need.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, i went to do the fuel pump today. Turns out i dont need a fuel pump. I replaced the battery terminals because one was striped out, i did an oil change, and then we sprayed to starter fluid or whatever it was into the intake and varrrroommmm, she started right up, sounded a little ruff at first, probably because of the old gas, but she ran around the block and laid a little posi track, i was suprised it took that little to get her going. Now im gonna change the plugs and wires and go from there. There was very little rust underneath, just a little on the bottom of the back seats, and some surface rust on the rear end and some of the lines, but my camaro enthuisest friend said i got a real good deal and that the rust i was seeing was in good places and not in bad places for it to be. On the gages however, the gas gage, fuel pressure gage, and oil pressure gage, didnt work. I thought the windows didnt work but they ended up going up and down just very very slowly........

Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

o yea, the speedo goes to 145, lol, i was looking at the rpms that went to 70, my bad.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:47 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

There was no fuel pressure gauges, it should be speedo, tach, oil pressure, temp, battery, and temp. You'll have to troubleshoot each one to see why. Most likely disconnected sending units is the cause.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Changed the plugs and wires, cap and rotor, and shes purring like a kitten..... Im told this car has the G92 package, i guess thats the better rear end?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 AM

Nice Juice, I got a 87 Z28 i traded a 72 cutlass for, has a it says 5.0 on the hood but im sure its not the original motor, its got a 600cfm edelbrock carb and intake, headers, flowmaster, msd ignition, dual electric fans, 5-speed hurst shifter, posi, i love this car..

Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM
4th Gear Member

what are the plans?

is it to restore the vehicle or is it to just get it in running condition?

Quick Reply: 87 Iroc z z28 restoration