1983 Camaro Project build need some pointers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 04:34 PM
Default 1983 Camaro Project build need some pointers

Hi there, My name is scott vanhevel, so i have some major issues right now. My father passed away about a year ago and left me with a lot of half gone through projects to work on and figure out lol. Just got a custom built turboed vw sandrail 4 seater put back together and running so i moved onto the 1983 camaro we had in the storage behind our garage back out and into the garage after it sitting in there for probably about 2 years. Keep in mind this car was half torn apart as he was in process of painting it and putting on new body parts (which isnt the problem right now i can do that myself no problem), So im into a half torn apart car, he never went through the engine and trans yet that was gonna be his next step and i cant seem to find anything he had written down about it or if he knew what engine trans was in it ect. Im not a huge mechanic or anything i know what hes taught me and i know what im looking at and doing for the most part. But this car is far from stock, the stock engine was a v6, has z28 badges so i assumed it had a 5.0 in it at first. Now im thrown off if its a 350, or a 305 and what engine this was in previously. Im 21 years old so this car was before my time and im kinda learning as i go but i need some help here identifing what engines in it and where to order parts for it, what will work with it and what wont ect. Currently working on putting a cooling system in it (Thermostat, Thermostat housing, new upper and lower hose, new performance radiator from mishimoto) has a mechanical fan on it would like to take it out and switch to electrical. Im honestly just lost as hell with this and any info you can see or know about a 350 swap would be nice so i can kinda figure out what im dealing with here. Sorry for the long message and theres probably other posts like this but couldnt find exactly what im looking for. Any help you can give ill take. I appreciate your time and info!

Engine bay

Old 07-05-2020, 06:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Well first off let me say I'm sorry to hear your father passed,21 is mighty young to lose your Dad.
I lost mine at 34 and thought that was young,mine was 45 when I was born so late start for us.
Getting back to your car,are you sure it was a V-6 converted?
If the block has not be resurfaced there are letters and numbers stamped on the passenger side under your alternator just in front of the head on the deck the head bolts on to.
That is a code that will tell you what motor it is and what it came from.
My guess is it's probably a 350,most guys wouldn't waste a 6 to 8 conversion for a 305 boat anchor motor.
Could even be a 327 or a 400,they pretty much all look the same on the outside but the 350 is the most common.
Here's some reading for you that should help. https://nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html