What more mods can I do??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default What more mods can I do??

Time for everyone to input.I wanna know if Im missing anything on my car that may add some more horsies.....I only have ONE stipulation....I DO NOT want to tear the engine apart (IE heads or cam).Looking for bolt on or minnimal work.SO heres what I currently have..

350 bored .040 over, mellings RV cam, stock heads....
headers, dual exhaust, cherry bombs...
'Brock 650 carb and intake (performer model IIRC)
Accell ignition, shorty plugs
3.73 rear end gears

So what else am I missing? The ONLY thing I can think is a set of roller rockers. Do they make a difference that you can actually notice (seat of your pants, not on a time slip...) Are they just a drop in application or do I have to mess with the cam? Lemme know....

Old 12-14-2008, 10:29 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: What more mods can I do??

Whats the lift of the cam? Are the valve springs and retainers stock? Depending on those two questions, you may be able to get some 1.6 ratio roller rockers, which will give you more lift over the stock 1.5 ratio rockers. Should net you around 15-20 HP, again depending on your cam. They drop right in and shouldnt take anymore than an hour to install. Worth it IMHO.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

Huh, good question. The guy I bought the engine from put a "Mellings RV" cam in the motor for low end torque. He didn't have any specifics on the cam. (He builds several engines a year and this one was kind of a 'spare' for him) I dont assume its anything radical (the engine idles normally without any lags or lopes) so I dont think Id have a problem with valve clearance.

So all I need are the rockers and pushrod? Is the procedure for setting valve clearance stil the same (TDC on each cylinder, tighten till rod stops spinning, back off 1/4 turn)?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Overdrive Member

You could install NAWS.
Ask 350rs about that.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear member

headwork????, p&p, biger valves, new heads???

Old 12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ls1s13

Not an option. Like I said, I dont wanna tear the engine apart. Id LOVE to pull the heads, but I dont have the time nor the funds....

So, about those roller rockers....

Old 12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Shouldnt even need pushrods based on the fact that your cam isnt pushing an extreme amount of lift. Only thing I think you might possibly need is a set of tall valve covers for the 1.6 ratio.

Heres what I plan to get, once I go over my engine again: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/751062/10002/-1

You need part #555-20105. On adjusting them: It will be basically the same, however I recommend adjusting them with the engine running.

Procedure:
Adjusting hydraulic lifters with the engine running is not one of my favorite activities (as you can tell). With the above considerations addressed, start the engine and allow it to warm up.Begin to loosen one of the rocker arm adjusting nuts. You should hear the valvetrainjust start to "clatter". Slowing tighten it down until the "clatter" just stops and then turn it 1/4 - 1/2 turn additional to set the plunger depth (lifter preload). Continue this procedure on all the valves. If you hear excessive noises or the vehicle runs crappy you will be doing the procedure again. As stated above, if you have access to a mechanic's stethoscope, you can set the end at the top of the rocker stud to listen to the noise a loose adjustment makes, which will make finding "zero" lash easier.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear member

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: ls1s13

[/blockquote]

Not an option. Like I said, I dont wanna tear the engine apart. Id LOVE to pull the heads, but I dont have the time nor the funds....

So, about those roller rockers....
oh ok, buy a used nitrous kit???? i have 125 shot dry but my car isnt tuned correctly to use it...i bought mine for about200 bucks and it took a full day to put on. and the best part is i didnt have to do any major changes under the hood, witch means no tearing the motor apart lol

Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

How about it breathing better? What do you have infront of the 650? justan air filter or are you getting cold air from outside the engine compartment? I would look at getting a new cam when you have time and funds.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:27 AM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

You could install NAWS.
Ask 350rs about that.
yea you just like, put a big blue bottle where everybody can see it and put a few stickers ( more about that in a min) on the car. thats prolly gonna net you like 300 to the wheels.

and abotu the stickers. add a few of them here and there in no particular order or location and BAM! instant jet fighter.

but in all seriousness. a small shot of nitrous ( I refuse to talk about it and call it NAWS) wouldnt hurt ya bad as long as your gentle with it. what size are the primaries on those headers?

theres always a turbo.. those are kinda almost in a fantasy a bolt in.. lol