Weird Noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Weird Noise!!

Ok, so today I was leaving my house and decided to get WOT in the car, anyway, when you smack 1st and 2nd gear, I hear a moaning, grinding noise. But, after that it's fine. Im thinking U-Joint. Any other ideas?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Droid

Never heard a U joint grind or moan, they ususlly ring like a bell when damaged. I suspect the clutch, transmission, or rear end. However, if you keep beating the poor car up, I am sure the noisy part will break, and you won't have to guess as to what part to replace.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

Cmon Pete, dont be so harsh. His description was very informative. I think his weird noise may be coming from that part next that other thing that goes around.....next to that doodad thingy....

3rdgencrazy.....you gotta be more descriptive. Wheres it coming from? Accel or decell? When braking? Specific RPM's? We are here to help but we arent mind readers.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im gona say clutch is failing,,, or you forgot someone in the trunk last night.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

its also low RPM's around about 2000, and only under hard acceleration. No noise during braking. The noise doesn't sound like its coming from the transmission, its coming from near the rear end.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the fluid level in the rearend and play in the ujoints.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

No play in the U-Joints and the fluid is fine. But after driving it up the road the road a couple times, I noticed that the clutch is definately slipping. Looks like thats my problem. Thats just great...

Old 06-26-2010, 06:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

not really the thread or this but how would one know when their clutch is slipping?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

when your in the the throttle ( lets say in my situation, automatic 2nd gear ) and you go WOT and the RPM's go up and and come back down, but it never changed gears. The clutch isn't grabbing and allows the motor to free-rev.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Whoa....hold up. Your saying 'clutch' and 'automatic transmission' together....a 'slipping clutch' is generally the result of a worn friction/pressure plate in a manual transmission. While not a simple job, it generally doesnt require an entire new transmission.

Automatic transmissions are a whole other ball game. When an auto transmission starts slipping, it generally means the internal assemblies (bands, plates, etc) are worn beyond service and usually requires the entire transmission to be replaced.

It sound like your automatic transmission is slipping. Start hunting junkyards for a replacement.....

I hate transmissions....they are filled with stinky red cool-aid and only work by some weird magic that only transmission shops understand. Weird *** pressure modulators and doohickeys and ****. I dread the day mine dies. Thats going to be a learning experience for me. Good luck. Let us know how the replacement goes.

Quick Reply: Weird Noise!!