steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default steering wheel

Hello,

I have a 1991 camaro Rs and just recently replaced the ignition switch, and as i was putting it back together i noticed that the center metal peice that the sterring wheel fits on to no longer felt sturdy, it moves side to side. And when i put the wheel back on it felt horrible, i cant turn the wheel without it going everywhere. And ideas as to what i could have done?

Help is greatly appreciated

Connor

Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: steering wheel

If it did not do that before then go back over what you did. Might have left a thick spring out or a bearing or its cup.
Does it feel like it is just in the wheel and not farther down. Tilt columns will loosen but chances are if it did not do it before then its a part you left out or incorrectly installed.
Got the lock plate back on and clipped in?

I am also having to replace my lock cylinder in my 91. I should be getting the cylinder later today or maybe Monday. Hopefully you get yours fixed before but if not I will take pics as I replace it and maybe seeing it can help you out.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes the bearing spacer, spring and spring cup are all there, im assuming that the "spring cup" goes over the end of the spring with the tabs facing towards you to hold the bearing spacer in. It almost feels that the other end of the shaft has come out of its place or something? This probably would have happened when i released the spring. Im sure somebody must have had this problem becuase i did mess with it at all i just folowed the haynes manual.

Thanks

Connor

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok so i fixed it, lol the only thing that was wrong was i just had the peice behind the spring backwards.
MadMikeZ28 your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Connor

Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Overdrive Member

I think you are the only one that has the problem because it sounds as if you put it together wrong.

There is the race that goes into the bearing. The the spring cup, with the tabs facing the cup so it fits inside the race, then the spring. I think you have that cup on wrong. The spring should be pushing on the rounded side of the cup.
Did the haynes tell you to do it the other way? Haynes sucks by the way. But when that is all you got, gotta make do.

Good luck and let me know if that does it for you.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh just missed your posting!
( I type slow ) [&o]

Old 10-25-2008, 02:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah i am pretty happy how it worked out, i just tightened down the cancelling cam and it snaped into place, for a minute there i thought i was up s*** creek. Yeah I way underestimated the difficulty of this job, stuff like that seems so simple in the hanyes manual, it took me about a week off and on to replace the stupid little lock cylinder. By the way is there any better service manuals than haynes that are easily available? Ive heard so much bad stuff about haynes.

Thanks

Connor

Old 10-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Overdrive Member

Haynes is a pretty poor manual. It should be named the auto repair for dummies manual due to its redundent and lack of good information. I once thumbed through a computers for dummies book and it told how to properly chose a mouse pad. Last time I ever pick up one of those books.

The older, thick Chilton's is not really bad (p/n 28282). Has lots of info that is found in a factor service manual. Don't mistake it with the new, thinner Chilton ( no " S " in the name on the cover). They are printed by, and are haynes on the inside.

Or, they are a little costly but the best is a Helm. Check Helminc.com to see if they still sell the manuals. They are the factory service manuals. There used to be order forms for them in the back of the cars owners manual.

Search Amazon, ****-E-bay, craigslist. Might fine one.