Running 220*F on camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RS camaro
Yeah I will look into one. I think I am just going to build the 305 up. I know everybody says just out in a 350 but I know a list of parts to make it put out about 325-235HP and thats all I need to have a lot of fun with.

Put the Air dam back on it, drain the coolant, take the rad to have it cleaned and flushed, then put it back on, reuse your coolant and leave it alone. Its not that no one on the board wants to see you succeed, but 300+hp on an 18 year old 305 is just not worth it. You'll need at least new pistons and heads to get higher compression and better velocities along with new manifold, better injection or carb and a cam to match that combo. Are you sure your bottom end will support that power after all the miles that are already on it?

Second, do you have emissions testing where you live? This will pretty much answer your question on what you can and can't do with that car. Lastly, if you do go that route and it works, be careful with a taller manifold as your hood may no longer close and you'll need a custom hood or a cowl hood. Best of luck let us know what you come up with.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djs383
Put the Air dam back on it, drain the coolant, take the rad to have it cleaned and flushed, then put it back on, reuse your coolant and leave it alone. Its not that no one on the board wants to see you succeed, but 300+hp on an 18 year old 305 is just not worth it. You'll need at least new pistons and heads to get higher compression and better velocities along with new manifold, better injection or carb and a cam to match that combo. Are you sure your bottom end will support that power after all the miles that are already on it?

Second, do you have emissions testing where you live? This will pretty much answer your question on what you can and can't do with that car. Lastly, if you do go that route and it works, be careful with a taller manifold as your hood may no longer close and you'll need a custom hood or a cowl hood. Best of luck let us know what you come up with.
the stuff you just said is one of the reasons why I am just thinking about starting over with a new block and putting on a new rear end and tranny. i a, worried about the miles killing it.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the stock rear can handle some power is done wisely. i.e. no nuetral drops, keep the burnout count low, and be mindful of applying power over rough roads. ive seen a completely stock rear handle a nitrou 383 and it never gave him issues, but he also wouldnt apply the power hard until second gear. i however managed to grenade a 10 bolt in my blazer, so its hit or miss. i also managed to blow to up a stock 305 with nothing other than a cat back.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
the stock rear can handle some power is done wisely. i.e. no nuetral drops, keep the burnout count low, and be mindful of applying power over rough roads. ive seen a completely stock rear handle a nitrou 383 and it never gave him issues, but he also wouldnt apply the power hard until second gear. i however managed to grenade a 10 bolt in my blazer, so its hit or miss. i also managed to blow to up a stock 305 with nothing other than a cat back.
^^^^^ how?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
4th Gear Member

Since you are planning a 305 build up, are you going with a short or long block 305???

Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackz87
Since you are planning a 305 build up, are you going with a short or long block 305???
I was thinking long

Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RS camaro
^^^^^ how?
how to which, grenading the rear or the 305?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
how to which, grenading the rear or the 305?
Both. lol But more about the 305

Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Wink

yeah as they say, it's not the power or the torque, but how it's transmitted to the road my other car is a british ford consul with a 6/71 blown 350/th350 combo with a volvo 240 back axle (dana 30) i never drop it into drive to launch never burnout on what we call shellgrip which is an anti skid type of surface (well once i did and munched the cwp!!) and never let it shift into third while burning out (again ditto!) and the box and back end are living fine much to the surprise of all the gearheads round here that kill 10 bolts etc!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

But I dont thing the air damn would make it go up like 30*F

Quick Reply: Running 220*F on camaro