Rebuild 5.7 or get a 454?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

this is the engine thats in my car, and i love it. under $3k? no. to build it from a good block was going to cost about $5500. i got one new, with a warranty, for $3500. another $1500 for supporting mod simply to the fuel injection has me up to around 320 hp, 340 tq. the stock intake and shorty headers and y pipe i have are extremely restricting me right now, and thats another $2000 to upgrade. anyways, here is what i have.

http://blueprintengines.com/index.php/gm-383-bp3834ct1

Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Never said they all cost under 3k, just that you could do it. You can spend 10k if you really want to. There are lots of scammers out there too, so you have to do your homework. The link I put on here earlier is a guy, Herb, who built a motor for my cousin and he's real happy. Carbed 383 stroker at about 475hp for a formula fb, all he had to do was drop it it in, hook it up and put oil in it, 4k was the bottom line with NO cores or core charges. The guy is legit, I'm talking to him about an LT1 rebuild to hit 375-400 depending on add-ons after he builds it for around $2,100 using my block, heads, intake, etc. All new internals. After pricing out parts and machine work, not to mention my back, sounds like a pretty good deal, but I'm still weighing options. Anyway, do your homework, ask a lot of questions and make your own decision.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Here is some 350 budget build info:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ild/index.html
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ild/index.html

They say the total is under $3k.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Look like some good articles, but will the Vortec heads work with the cooling system on an LT1 or does all that have to be redone. Maybe it was in there and I didn't see it. I guess the point is, you CAN build one heck of a good 350ish SBC for 3k or less. But, I miss the days when you could just build it and drop it in w/o having to worry about electronics matching up or emmissions garbage. But, it is what it is.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pig Hunter
I've been talking to this guy, just one example;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...item43a38fe6af
Now THATS what Im talking about. Shop around. Find somebody with a good reputation and do it! I really want a 383 for my Camaro but I think Im at the limit of what my frame, th350 and rear end will tolerate. Now when I get back from A'stan, Im going to buy a 76 Vette and shoehorn a 454 in it with all my deployment money. (Wishfull thinking.) (its an evolving project)

In all honesty, the most important part to get your 350 REALLY pushing the envelope are a set of serious heads......and a set of serious heads will set you back about a grand.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Not trying to change things, but I cut my losses on the 92 RS, sold it, and bought an 84 Z28. The Z28 has no rust, good paint, needs small engine work. My RS wouldn't pass MA state inspection with the rot on the body. I'll get pics up tomorrow night of the Z28.

The guy I'm buying the Z28 from says it has a TPI 305 from an 87 Camaro and has a Turbo 350 tranny from the same Camaro. "Has aftermarket cold air intake high performance distributor mild cam".

Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

May as well say "has butchered air filter and stock cam"...."engine is out of tune and thats why I say it has mild cam".....

Surface rust to frame rot?

Honestly man, you bought and sold a car in 5 posts???????

What the hell happened?

Last edited by ScottD; 01-05-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ScottD
Surface rust to frame rot?

Honestly man, you bought and sold a car in 5 posts???????

What the hell happened?
I'm an amateur at body work. The surface rust on the hood as well as doors was not a problem. I took care of it. The problems started when the inner portion of the rear wheel wells were rotted. I didn't really look when I first saw the car (my negligence). Started sanding it slowly, a chunk came off. Said "hell no, not touching it". Threw it on Craigslist, sold it 12 hours later to a guy that bought it just for the engine and interior. Got my money back, so I can't complain.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 AM
2nd Gear member

An 8yr older car that is in better shape?? And 84 came with carb originally I think

Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by carguy68ssrs
An 8yr older car that is in better shape?? And 84 came with carb originally I think
Maybe it's a southern or California car that was just transported to MA and he stumbled upon it????

In 2009, I had a 1999 vehicle transported to me in FL. I got it cheap and figured I'd go over it and sell it. It came from NH where it was purchased new and was always registered there.

The amount of work needed due to the damage caused by road salt was incredible and after fixing the top end, slapping on tires and brakes I dumped it for $500 to someone who was thankful to have a car that started and ran; but who knows for how long. I lost on that deal but live and learn. I ended up making it back on a car that I bought for my kid that needed less work than the seller thought.

The 89 that I am now restoring has been in FL the entire time and not a spot of frame rot, including the floors. The only rust is surface where paint had been chipped off for some time.

So who knows, maybe he found a gem???

Quick Reply: Rebuild 5.7 or get a 454?