Rebuild 5.7 or get a 454?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Default Rebuild 5.7 or get a 454?

Just thought I'd get some opinions. I just bought a 92 RS. The car's a little banged up, a little surface rust. I was told the engine will need to be fixed/replaced. I plan on doing restoration sooner or later down the line.

My question for you guys is this; when the engine goes, should I have the stock engine rebuilt or drop in a 454 Big Block? I've got about $3000 give or take to spend on either. I love the sound of the engine now, but I've heard that some engines don't sound or perform the same after rebuilds.

If I went the 454 option, what would need to be changed? I assume at the very least the motor mounts, maybe even the radiator? I'm an amateur mechanic and I've never done anything as far as engine swaps. Most I do is change belts, fluids, brakes, tire rotations, etc. Any help is appreciated!!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

IMO i would drop the 454 and yes you would need motor mounts a much bigger rad (not sure if your trans would bolt up or not) swapping a motor isnt that hard as long as theres no major modifications that go along with it i could pull a motor and replace with a new one (same engine) in about 2 days im also not to sure about the electronics you might run into problems there craby cam 69 and massey are the ppl that come to mind that would have very good info

Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

With only $3,000 to spend, get the idea of a big block out of your head. Even with more money, a BBC in a 3rd gen just isn't practical.

A mildly built 350 or even 383 will more than suffice.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear member

what is wrong with the engine in the first place???

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Am I missing something here, did someone already swap a 350 into his car? If not, we're talking about his stock 5.0L here, right?

You're certainly gonna wanna get rid of that and get at least a 350.

I think that HotRod did an article on modding a chevy 5.0 and spent pretty close to 2500 bucks just to make 300 horsepower. I'm seeing LS1's go for $2500.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear member

well an ls1 would take alot more than just a motor to work in a 3rd gen so that would not work with his budget

Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stix80
what is wrong with the engine in the first place???
Honestly don't know. The girl I bought it from said her boyfriend got it from his dad, so it's only seen two owners. I asked what was wrong mechanically and she told me to talk to him. She said he's up in New Hampshire until tuesday night. So pretty much I've gotta wait until wensday at his shop.

Basically I'm in the dark until he calls me or I go to see him; unless I start tearing through it.

Originally Posted by nine-six-zee28
Am I missing something here, did someone already swap a 350 into his car? If not, we're talking about his stock 5.0L here, right?
Honestly, I'm not really sure. Ya know what, she did mention that it was the 25th anniversary model. A quick search says that the 25th model was running a 305 5.0.

My bad for all the confusion. When I listen to the RS, it doesn't sound at all like a 5.0 (granted I'm comparing the sound between the RS to my 90 LX fox body).

Some mentioned the 350? How much would that run me without any labor?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 AM
3rd Gear Member

As long as the engine is rebuilt correctly, it will have the same or better performance than the high mileage one that was in there. 3,4,even 5k will not properly get you a big block built to any degree of perfromance. I have seen very very few big blocks in 3rd gens that were done well. Typically junkyard crap that was shoehorned in and is way less reliable than stock. Get your body, interior, brakes, suspension done first, then go for a motor. If you can hanlde the expense of getting the rest of the car built correctly, then a properly built small block would be a small expense, especially if you do have a 5.7 in there now.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ditto on what everyone else is saying....a 454 costs BIG money. I just passed on a 71 Pontiac with a 454 simply because I KNOW I cant afford it. 3K for a motor budget will get you a beat the fukc up 454 from a motor home at best. The rebuild alone will cost burn up half your budget. With that budget, you can work a 350 very nicely to push shy of 400 hp. Search around, you may be able to get a 383 for that money too.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ScottD
With that budget, you can work a 350 very nicely to push shy of 400 hp. Search around, you may be able to get a 383 for that money too.
I've kind of came to reality now that I've started looking around and researching things (was a Ford guy forever).

I think I've came to the conclusion to either compromise on rebuilding the current 305 or looking into a 350. I quoted your post about the 350 pushing close to 400. What would I need to say put it in that ballpark?

Also, what's the opinion on "hyperchips"? I've heard of them through work and a couple of forums but never been interested. A buddy of mine has one in his Dodge Ram and claims it adds to the HP. Would that be a path to look at, or is that something that should be just for 140 HP ricers?

Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Rebuild 5.7 or get a 454?