Plastic T-tops

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh well, just an idea. If they looked really bad now, then they may look a little better painted. Maybe unc didn't do a very good job?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Even if he did, I saw them before he painted them flat black. They looked like she had grey sand paper glued to the top of her car. They look slightly better now but I'd still be ashamed to be seen in that thing. It's a 92 and its a POS!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  100_0844.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  69.5 KB
heres the pic

Old 08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

It's hard to tell by the pics, but you could try to get the scratches out by wet sanding. The t top trim can be painted with various brands of plastic satin paint. I painted the trim on my IROC, and it turned out great.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My cousin was with me one day and asked (it was another friend's camaro, she had my truck) "hey what's this lever?" as she pulled the handle. I about pi$$ed all over as the top just kinda disappeared..

then i realized my cousin's hand was up out of the top of the car, i laid on the brakes and watched behind us, hoping that when the inevitable meeting of the ground happened, hopefully, somehow, it wouldn't shatter..but, she managed to get her pinky caught between the handle and the rest of the trim, and the thing just sat there on the roof. If I was a cat, I burnt 7 lives that day lol

but maybe it was plastic and wouldn't have shattered, when did they start using plastic tops? i thought they were all glass

Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I bet it would have been destroyed. Maybe I should keep mine locked. It's a pain in the a$$ to keep screwing with that cause I am much of the time driving with them off. I guess you got lucky. Luckier than I was.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thats what my cousins t-tops looked like before the paint. It couldn't hurt to try and paint them. I'm putting a sticky note on my lever that says do not touch this. EVER!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by DiElSleL
Thats what my cousins t-tops looked like before the paint. It couldn't hurt to try and paint them. I'm putting a sticky note on my lever that says do not touch this. EVER!
Or, lock them.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yea afterwards she said "oh i guess that's why there is that lock thing like on the glovebox huh?" lol

Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

my passanger side t-top lock is pitiful at best. when i get some money im gonna fix up my car a little. fix that lock. get the paint chips fixed. get some new hood louvers (All but one of my bolts are broken on the drivers side so I can almost lift it completely off) and get a new dash cause my console still reads 110 mph cause it used to be a 305. You should try junk yards katzen. i found an 86 iroc that had been sittin under a tree for 12 years at a local junk yard. the out side looked like the @$$ crack of hell but the interior was almost perfect so im pretty positive the t-tops dont leak. but im in north carolina so those cant do you much good.

Quick Reply: Plastic T-tops