New Engine to my '92 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Default New Engine to my '92 RS

Hi folks, my name is Jose, I'm 27 years old and I livein Cd Juarez, Chih. Mexico and I'm in the middle of the complete restoration of my '92 Camaro RS 25th Anniversary (Paint, engine, interior, etc)

I have this car for almost 3 years and I'm loving it more every day,when I bought it back in the 2004 the 305 TBI engine was really bad, it was nothing but smoke and really poor power (every car beats me back then... even sedans!!!), so I take it to an overhaul and I put on ithigh compresion pistons and everything else new but with stock parts (note that the only performance part that Iput on it were the pistons)

So when the overhaul was finished my RSwas pretty good, seems like it was brought to life from the junkyard, I have lots of fun running it and I enjoyed every moment on it... but my little brother destroyed the tranny the last year (due to illegal street races) so I send it again to an overhaul, the Camarocomes with a 700R4 tranny andafter the overhaulwas completed it runs prettysmooth since then until today.

But since January the RS is not running anymore, the enginestarted to loose power and I have noticed some smoke (again), so I asked to my brother whathe didto it, he never told me (but I think the illegal street races are the reason again), the last thing I have known was that mybrother destroyedthe engine in 4 months!!!And now Ineed to change it or do another overhaul, soI decided to changed instead of another overhaul.

I ask to some friends what type of engine should I use this time andsome told me to use the 305 TPI version of the engine if I want to keep it the most original possible, some other recommend a 350with a carburetor...for some mayor performance.

The decision was made and I bought a used 350 engine that was from a friend who have it running on a Firebird, I have plans to put it on my RS but I want tosend it to a completeteardown and inspection and of course,try to put on it some performance parts to gain more power (this time I will not let my little brother to use my car!!!)

The engine comes with an Edelbrock Performer Intake, a 600cc Edelbrock Carburetor,High Compresion Pistonsand Short Headers in veryvery good conditions, but Iwant to add a camshaft and a MSD Ingnition kit.

So here is where you can help me, there is no problem for the camshaft... but for the MDSI don't know whattypeshould I use... I was thinking to add the Distrubutor and the Blaster too so the complete MSD package will be on my RS.

I don't know either if I need to replace or changeanything else in order to see complete myproject, please advise me what else shouldI need todo, I will holdup the project until I have been well informed about all the things that I need to know.

By the way,all the job for the engine will be made for my mechanic,who isthe father of a friend, he have been on thisfor several years and hehave done some great jobs on engines for classic cars, I know he can tell me more about what should I need, but I want to learn more and have more information about this.

Here is a pic of what was my Camaro,thanks for all the help you can give me!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/7723/AEAFEF0DF2DA42E9A2989B3144215424.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2007, 04:23 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: New Engine to my '92 RS

Welcome, Jose. his is a great forum and You'll enjoy it. hope You get Your car running soon.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Good choice on the 350. I cant be much help on your ignition, sorry. Now stop letting your brother drive your car! Good luck.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Thanks for your comments!!! They are very appreiated!!!

No, can someone tell me if the parts that I already have for the engine are good to start this project?

A friend of mine tell me that maybe some parts cannot match well with the engine and maybe I will need to twik and fix some big problems...I don't know what the hell he is talking about... But that comment make me think and now I have more doubt about the project.

Please someone tell me if this could be true or if my friend was just jealous about my car...

Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 PM
4th Gear Member

What does your sig say?

go to www.summitracing.com to find all the parts you would need

You will want to swap the lifters and depending on the cam, new valvetrain might be needed. As for the ignition, depending on the year of the 350, you can get a MSD coil and cap to hook up the Blaster 2 coil to.

Some more info about the 350 and cam specs might help

Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

well all the front end stuff you can use on your new 350. the stuffs the same on a 305 and 350(water pump, radiator, fan, pulleys, etc.)

Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

badinfluence: his sig says: "I have carved in ashes seeing to arrive a hurricane that will go dissolving the mineral of the soul" or somethin along those lines, took some spanish during high school. idk

Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 AM

Hey, thanks for the help, I already have ordered the new Summit Catalog to see what else can I find.

The enginecame from a 1988 Firebird, it was something dirty when my friend took it offofhis car, but the enginewasvery powerful, my friend just wants a bigger engine on his Firebird.

I know that the engine is poweful and nothig is wrong with it, butI want to take it to a complete teardown and inspection,I don't like the idea of just put it on my RS the way it is right now and then have to take it off again when my little brother destroy it again (he will take it with or without my permission)just because I don't changed a part to save money or something like that...

I'm not sure if I will put the cam, seems like I will need to put more and more money on the engine and I don't know if I will be able to complete the project... but let me see if I can find the info ofthe camto post it here later.

Now for my sig, well, is a verse ofa song calledVirus from Heroes del Silencio, a spanish rock band from the 90's that I liked very very much... ok, soyou ask what all thatmeans? Well, thanks to 92CamaroRS now you know what that verse means, is a metaphorical verse that I adopted some years ago...

Seems like every plan, project, relationshipor whatever I start is made of ashes and then suddenlya hurricane comes and destroyall what I've made...but not this time, my RS -with your help- will be out on the streets pretty soon and completely restored, with abrand newshiny paint and a powerful engine that will scare everybody!!!

Next time I will put some picture of the engine, right now is a little late to take it.