In need of real talk...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 06:37 PM
Default In need of real talk...

Hi all,

New member, first post. Recently lost my daily driver to a car crash on my way home from work. Driver hit me at 50 mph and totaled the car.

So now I'm looking for something else. Came across a beautiful 92 RS 25th anniversary edition Camaro for sale right in my price range. 305 V8, 5-speed manual, 36,000 miles, no rust, single owner. Never been driven in the rain or snow/garage kept. AC is R-134 system. No salvage title or anything like that.

Someone talk some sense into me here. Am I crazy for wanting to make a 28-year old car my new daily? It's been so well-kept...

I currently have a project car (an old chevy silverado but I'm currently dealing with some transmission issues). So it's not any condition to be driven as a replacement.

I'm looking for advice from those of you who are current owners- what are your biggest financial pitfalls with the car? How often do you have to service it and what do you have to have serviced? Ever been stranded on the side of the road? And how often?

I'm cool with servicing the car- changed everything on my last car from fuel injectors, master cylinder, transmission (4L60E automatic transmission went out a few times though so I'm particularly skittish about potential transmission work... I think I've had enough of that for now lol). I just need an idea of how reliable OEM switches/hoses/belts are on a car that's old but well maintained.

I just wanna get some advice on practicality from current owners before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-31-2020, 09:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check it out, drive it, have it put up on lift to check her underside for any oil leaks and such. if its set for long period it may have gaskets that are not happy and won't show leaks for a time. clutch would be something to pay attention to and how it shifts will give an idea how the trans is doing. if its been maintained correctly you should be good to go, if antifreeze has not been changed for long time it can make gaskets unhappy and fail. other than that without seeing it and driving can't really say for sure its not going to have some failure.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:12 AM
4th Gear Member

I'd love to have that for a daily,sounds like a well cared for older (read simple) car that could go for a very long time.
As craby said get it serviced and checked out,maybe invest in some new rubber bits like belts and hoses.
Gaskets can be an issue but most aren't too bad to change out.
That 305 is an often poo pooed motor,not much power and a waste to rebuild but with low miles and if not hot rodded it will serve as reliable transportation for a long time.
I had a '77 Nova with a 305 and that thing was nothing if not reliable,loved that car because it ran like a Timex watch it just kept ticking.