need help with this

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: need help with this

Hey I drove this four banger in high school. I also owned a 68 BMW 1600 and a 90 Geo Storm that I lowered and put a body kit on ( still hated it though) so I got to stick up for it Cause its a Camaro.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4028/86D00796E0024D7FB137B2264E14C80A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

should i not try the carb cleaner? cuz i just bought it but i do sorta feel air coming out but ill try anything cuz i need a car cuz my buick just went out on me. o and ill try to get some pics up of it soon but itsreally not that nice looking - rusted doors and key marks all over

Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Overdrive Member

You can try the spray but it will find vacuum not an exhaust leak. Be careful of catching fire. Where do you feel the air at? Maybe your manifold was warped and not sealing well. Was the crack brazed? Weld does not stick to cast all that well.You may be able to find a new aftermarket manifold fairly cheap

Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

the leak is coming out kinda at the bottom of the engine block towards the side where the exaust manifold is. my friend who welded it is a mechanic on cars and airplanes so im pretty sure he welded it correctly but i could be wrong. hopefully im not though

Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Overdrive Member

Ask how he did it. The way I was taught was to drill a hole on each end of the crack to stop it from getting bigger. Vee out the crack and heat it up really good then braze it.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

i asked him and thats exactly how he said he did it. he also said he spray painted it a bit to keep it from rusting.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Damn Mike, I guess you ARE watching my every post. And I will have you know my car isnt leaking coolant! (anymore. Well, at least right now....)

Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ok so i tried some of that carb cleaner and it didnt workso now i dont know what to do. i would really like to get this running. i also had the idea of swapping out the engine and transmission for a v8 and a manual (of course with a lot of help cuz im not that good with thosethings but im willingto learn)but im torn in between doing that or just buying a newer camaro with a v8 already in it. what do you guys think i should do?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: ScottD

Damn Mike, I guess you ARE watching my every post. And I will have you know my car isnt leaking coolant! (anymore. Well, at least right now....)
I can't help but to see your post. One post will have a new problem then the next time I click there is a new thread with that new problem in it. This is going to have to be renamed scottdscamaroforums.com

You should be able to trace that leak. Can you see any dry sooty areas where exhaust may be leaking from? I think I also posted earlier that the manifold could have been warped and the gasket is not sealing. An old timers trick was to put grease instead of a gasket on the manifold. But i would just check the manifolds and if needed have them surfaced to flatten them out.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

yea but even if that does work theres still so many problems with that car. there is also some kind of oil leak that isnt leaking on the ground but it is everywhere on the engine like a lot more than it should be and the spark plugs are also getting oil leaked into them and are getting fouled up. the air filter that i just boughtfor it was contaminated and turned from the normal color to black within a week because there is something leaking into the air filter dish. it could be gas or oil but im not too sure but it definately isnt good. i think i should either rebuild the car or buy a new one but i dont know which to do...