need help with this

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default need help with this

so yea my old beat up 83 4 banger is making this noise when it is running and it kinda sounds like something is leaking out air because it almost sounds like a sprinkler going off and i have no clue what the problem is. i can feel where the leak is and its right by the exaust manifold. i had the manifold welded recently and that didnt help the problem. ive been told that it could or could not be a head gasket problem and i wanted to know what you all think cuz i really need to get this running cuz i currently dont have a car right now because my other one is in for inspection which needs to have the windshield replaced so any help at all would be great. thanks

Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: need help with this

First off, you have one of those 4 bangin maro's? Post some pics, I always wanted to see one

2nd, it sounds like the manifold gasket might be failing, try replacing that before you worry about a head gasket

Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Sonnds like it's time for a rebuild. 24 year old motor, leaking compression, probably has a warped head. See if you can find one with lows miles in a junkyard, they'd probably almost give it to you.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

yea i replaced the manifold gaskets (yes 2 of them - one between the block and the exhaust manifold and one between the manifold and the pipe) and that didnt help at all.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:10 PM

The intake gasket is the one that he was talking about.

Here is how you find it......You have a hissing sound, if I understand correctly.......What that is, is a vacum leak.

Get a can of Brake Clean, or Carb Cleaner.............

With the car running, spray the cleaner up and down where the intake manifold mates to the heads, and the front and rear intake runners on the block.

If you happen to spray this onto a leak, the motor will smooth out, and you will not hear that noise anymore.

If you do not hear the motor smooth out, spray vacum hoses until you find the leak. Follow all of these vacum hoses, and also things such as the trottle body gasket, or upper intake manifold tube gaskets (if you have tpi).

It may take a while to find, but this will definately find it for you, if it is in fact, a vacum leak.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any more help with this.

I am an ASE certified mechanic, and have been turning wrenches for 10 years. I also am very familiar with Camaros, as I have owned mine for 9 years now. It is my baby, and I am always upgrading it!!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

wow i never thought of trying that
hopefully that will fix it - ill let you know then as soon as i buy the brake cleaner stuff

Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: macker914

The intake gasket is the one that he was talking about.

Here is how you find it......You have a hissing sound, if I understand correctly.......What that is, is a vacum leak.

Get a can of Brake Clean, or Carb Cleaner.............

With the car running, spray the cleaner up and down where the intake manifold mates to the heads, and the front and rear intake runners on the block.

If you happen to spray this onto a leak, the motor will smooth out, and you will not hear that noise anymore.

If you do not hear the motor smooth out, spray vacum hoses until you find the leak. Follow all of these vacum hoses, and also things such as the trottle body gasket, or upper intake manifold tube gaskets (if you have tpi).

It may take a while to find, but this will definately find it for you, if it is in fact, a vacum leak.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any more help with this.

I am an ASE certified mechanic, and have been turning wrenches for 10 years. I also am very familiar with Camaros, as I have owned mine for 9 years now. It is my baby, and I am always upgrading it!!

Definatly no TPI on an 83four cylinder. It would have TBI. Also be careful spraying flamable liquids as you could start a fire real easy. But if you feel the air coming out then its not a vacuum leak. How was the cast iron manifold welded? It could still be leaking. Was there a crack and were the ends of the crack drilled to stip it from getting bigger?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

Dude, seriously, you have a 4 banger Maro? Isnt that like a Pinto or something?

Sorry. I couldnt help myself. [&:]

Old 05-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: ScottD

Thats Fckin cold thing to say. Specialy from a guy that has a car that is pissing every thing from oil to water. You should have said Chevette

Old 05-04-2007, 05:31 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

ORIGINAL: ScottD

Thats Fckin cold thing to say. Specialy from a guy that has a car that is pissing every thing from oil to water. You should have said Chevette
ooo thats an offical burn, mike... ouch