Motherly love vs 84 V8 Camaro = Not so happy son

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Motherly love vs 84 V8 Camaro = Not so happy son

Well I'm about to buy a 84 camaro. My mother is VERY VERY overprotected. She wants me to buy the safest car in the world but doesn't want to help me buy one. So tonight I'm going to bring up possibly putting airbags into this camaro. Is it possible? I have seen it in a 86. I don't care how much it will cost me. I will probably end up putting 4 point seatbelts in as well just to get her even happier.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Default RE: Motherly love vs 84 V8 Camaro = Not so happy son

Not sure what it would take to get airbags put into the 84 but I would just suggest buying a later model that already has the airbags. Not sure what year they started to come with them but to convert you are talking about a new steering column and then sensors placed throughout the car to engage the air bags in the event of a crash. Just seems like a lot of work that can be avoided by purchasing a different camaro.
Thats my opinion.
Jimmy

Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i believe they started in 90? but i wouldnt swear to it

Old 03-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For the amount of money and time you would have to spend to retro-fit air bags in that car, you could buy a newer model with bags, and still have money left over. And actually, when you say "bags", I have a 91, and it only has a driver's side air bag. Passenger side didn't come out till later. And, I would rather be in a crash in a Camaro without bags, than in a small tinny ricer with bags.
Also, who do you think is going to be the safer more cautious driver, the one without air bags, or the driver with bags who feels they can take risks because they think their car will protect them? Tell mom!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

just buy the camaro, shes your mother if shes over protective she loves you, shes not gonna stop loving you over a car.
Ive got a 91 forsalew ith drivers side airbag

850 or best and shes yours.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Coveted Hilton

just buy the camaro, shes your mother if shes over protective she loves you, shes not gonna stop loving you over a car.
Ive got a 91 forsalew ith drivers side airbag

850 or best and shes yours.
I'm only 16 if I was 18 sure. But my dad would be so pissed he would probably just sell it and keep the cash. That or I wont be able to drive it or somehting stupid like that.

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

For the amount of money and time you would have to spend to retro-fit air bags in that car, you could buy a newer model with bags, and still have money left over. And actually, when you say "bags", I have a 91, and it only has a driver's side air bag. Passenger side didn't come out till later. And, I would rather be in a crash in a Camaro without bags, than in a small tinny ricer with bags.
Also, who do you think is going to be the safer more cautious driver, the one without air bags, or the driver with bags who feels they can take risks because they think their car will protect them? Tell mom!
I would tell her that but then she wouldn't even want me to get a car. You know why? My mom is an orthopedic surgen. Meaning she gets all the people that gets in really bad accidents with bady broke bones and spines so on... Maybe a 4 point seatbelt will help more? I mean they don't put airbags in dragsters... They do put big seat belts. I'm not talking like the long dragsters but like a camaro non street legal car.... Speeds excess 150 mph....

Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Yes, they started making blondes, oops... I mean airbags in 1990 when they re-did the interior, Do what I did, my dad didnt like the car I bought, he told me to sell it, I said **** that and joined the Infantry when I was 17 yrs old lol... that'll teach him...

Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

first of all dont bring up drag racing at all
second find a 1990 91 92 with airbags already in it only difference is tbi or tpi instead of carb and the interior.
installing airbags is gonna be horriblyexpensive time consuming and worthless. and a 4 point seat belt will be uncomfortable as fxck.
i would take the angle of "this is my baby, ive always wanted one of these cars im not gonna take any chances being an idiot in it.
also consider buying a winter beater if you live anywhere with snow/ice
best advice from someone who wrrecked everything nice he ever had
chill out its better to just calm down a little bit on the pedal than to have no car at all.

... and dont listen to anything your friends tell you either about the engine or how to drive it.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: carguy_z28

Yes, they started making blondes, oops... I mean airbags in 1990 when they re-did the interior, Do what I did, my dad didnt like the car I bought, he told me to sell it, I said **** that and joined the Infantry when I was 17 yrs old lol... that'll teach him...
No thanks.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 AM
March 2008 ROTM

what? to good to serve this country?

Quick Reply: Motherly love vs 84 V8 Camaro = Not so happy son