Loose rattling door handles and glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Default Loose rattling door handles and glass

Ok So i have been looking at why the doors are rattling. The hinges have to be replaced but the door handles are loose, Does anyone know if there is a spring under the handle that keeps it tight?

I noticed the doors have window sliders that are really worn and allow the glass to move about. Does anyone know where I can get these parts.
i have looked at classic industries, butu nothing yet. i may have to fabricate my own to get that solid door feeling.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 PM

Hey craby. thanks alot. found exactly what i need.
Looks like Ill be getting 2 peices each week until I complete the set.
Pretty expensive

Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol. yah they seem to know when they got ya by the ,,, and can price em up. i have found good quality from both places.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member

don't know if there is a part you can buy to make your handles tighter(if you found one let me know)

but i know a lot of guys use pieces of rubber hose to help stiffen the handles on the exterior

Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Well Caveman I did find out that there is supposed to be a spring just under teh handle and cant find anyone that carries it yet. I have found a post somewhere that shows hobby shop fuel line on the rod connecting the handle to the locking mechanism. this should stop the rattlling of the door handle.
I opened up my door and noticed that the exterior door sill was worna nd the screws just spind onto the door.
I will be ordering a new door sill.
In the meantime I have added a shim of plastic behind the sill and added terry cloth to the sliders. Then i readjusted the inner sliders to keep the window snug.
Some of the rattling has been eliminated.Window up or down.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by muaymendez1
Well Caveman I did find out that there is supposed to be a spring just under teh handle and cant find anyone that carries it yet. I have found a post somewhere that shows hobby shop fuel line on the rod connecting the handle to the locking mechanism. this should stop the rattlling of the door handle.
I opened up my door and noticed that the exterior door sill was worna nd the screws just spind onto the door.
I will be ordering a new door sill.
In the meantime I have added a shim of plastic behind the sill and added terry cloth to the sliders. Then i readjusted the inner sliders to keep the window snug.
Some of the rattling has been eliminated.Window up or down.
You can't get just the spring, your options are a new GM replacement about 50/each, or a generic replacement about 20 each. Either way, with a fresh handle and spring, you should be much better off. You mentioned the window rattling, you'll need new felts and possibly the plasic rail. THese parts are pretty prices and will run about 400 (or even a little more) for both sides. If you do it right, it will be as good as new and should last as long, or longer than the origonalsl.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 PM

New felts would be optimal. But why not add felt material to the old sliders. The only reason why i want to get the outside sill is becasue the rubber is cracked and bent. My door is nice and snug now after temporarily fixing it by adding material. The only problems left are the door hinges are sagging and the door handle rattles. Besides that im good to go.

Oh and since I added material and it keep s the window from ratling it also gives me a better seal and no more whistling of wind.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll be Adding material to my window guides and everything since my door panels are off so i could do body work

i may buy new handles but will prob just add the rubber hose to stop the rattle for now

thanks for the info on the spring, im sure mine went missing when the P.O. hit something on the driver side, as thats the only side that has problems with anything rattling

Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM

I didnt understand how those springs can become missing until my first ice storm. i tried to open my door and I almost needed a crowbar to pry the window from the weather stripping.
i guess thats what caused the sprng to come loose