Locked T-Tops

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I'd like to see some information on how the lock tumblers can cut teeth on a plastic key blank. Because if what you're saying could actually be done, it would be so simple to rip off someones car that way. I've rebuilt a few lock assemblies before, and if you've ever been inside one before, you'd understand my skepticism. A car lock contains a handful of spring loaded wafer tumblers that slide sideways inside the lock barrel. With the key out, those tumblers stick out past the outside of the barrel and fit into a slot on the lock body, and that's what keeps it from turning. With the key in, the tumblers ride against the keys teeth, and each one is cut a specific length so that they are all retracted inside the barrel leaving the outside smooth, then the barrel can be turned. So how would a blank key know what the height of each tooth needs to be to retract the tumblers? Not to mention, the lock doesn't contain any cutting device to cut teeth.
I Understand the skeptical thought, They don't always work Like my old truck wouldn't do anything with them, but my dad bought a new ford van in 2000, and it came with a plastic key blank, that fit in your wallet with the word "emergenkey" on it. locked my infant brother in the car with the keys and by god he made that thing work... when he pulled it out it had pieces that were bent sideways out of it, and it wouldn't go back in the key slot. But for one time uses it works.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
A car lock contains a handful of spring loaded wafer tumblers that slide sideways inside the lock barrel. With the key out, those tumblers stick out past the outside of the barrel and fit into a slot on the lock body, and that's what keeps it from turning. With the key in, the tumblers ride against the keys teeth, and each one is cut a specific length so that they are all retracted inside the barrel leaving the outside smooth, then the barrel can be turned.
Excuse me sir but you just made my brain explode. Also I could have used one of those emergenkey things that day at the drag strip when I met my girlfriend. I know what your thinking, awesome first impression. Your probably also thinking, you met your girlfriend at the drag strip?...YEP

Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

What about using a cordless reciprocating saw and cutting them out?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by Stevolwevol
What about using a cordless reciprocating saw and cutting them out?
depends on where you cut, it might ruin the tops.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BudBrown
depends on where you cut, it might ruin the tops.
I figured they could be cut around the locks, and not cut into the tops.