Lack of performance or power... :(!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Default Lack of performance or power... :(!!!!!

OK, here's the deal;

Camaro Z-28 IROC-Z 1987 5.7 TPI 98% stock.

After having been put in storage for 7 months, the car was working perfectlyup to that point, I've decided to take it out on the road once again this past week.!!!!

Things done prior to storage; usual drill of oil change, putting some stabil in fuel etc.

Immediately upon returning on the road, I've noted a vast reduction in the power to the tune of 50%. I mean no power at all. Even the SES light came on, code 33 or MAF sensor voltage high. Car is idling rough, bogging down big time, pinkingall the way even having problems reaching beyond 2500 rpm even in park and neutral, top speed about 50 MPH if lucky.

I said to myself "Bingo that's the problem MAF sensor!!". I first thought the problem appeared as easy to solve as catching a fish in a barrel. Fair to say that I have made the obvious decision to get a new MAF sensor...

But guess what? No improvement!!! So I took it off and decided the check again with the "old" one. This time, after checking the "old" MAF with a voltmeter, it turned out to be OK. ( I know better now...). As a result, the "old" MAF was reinstalled, ECMwas reseted and curiously the SES light has never appeared again. The symptoms are however still and constantly present. The only bonus I'm having now is that I'm now the owner of 2 MAF sensors.

Following the MAF snafu, I've made some online searches, haveread some books and have decided to conduct various checks of MAF sensor and circuit, MAF power and burn off relay,TPS sensor, EGR valve vacuum and solenoidand circuitallcheck OK. Novacuum leak noted anywhere. Cleaned the injectors, changedfuel filter (fuel pressure OK). Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotorare all new. With the help of a stetoscope and an ohmeter, I can say that all the injectors seem to be working all OK (I mean they were all up to snuff last fall.) Cleaned them out anyhow this morning as I thought that they could have perhaps clogged in varnish due to extended storage and despite having had used stabil and good fuel.

Now, after talking to a few guys, I was able to find out thatit has happened in some other cases involving Camaro, Firebird and Corvette equipped with a TPI engine which were showing some similar behaviour that the ECM turned out to be the culprit after all. Some of thesepiece of equipmenthave seemingly been known to simply fry up for unknown cause or so I've learned. I did a visual check on the inside of my ECM and didn't notice any signs of burns, toasted diodes or any sort of burnt smell.

But after having checked all of the above (during countless hours...) and ruled out possibilities of having a mice familyelecting the muffler as their winter haven, I was able to find locala second hand but still newand never used ECM for $100.So, I'll gamble $100 and see if this is the solution for my nightmare. Simply put, I'm about to run out of potential obvious solutions here.

I'll betrying that ECM to replace the current one as I strongly believe it may just need a leave of absence or may be in strong need ofa brain transplant. Various GM troubleshooting flow charts drafted for many if not all trouble codes are showing "faulty ECM" as the ultimate and final outcome.

To be continued...