Jay Cs 89 RS Camaro rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM
4th Gear Member

I had an 82 TA gold series with a 305 ,had 155.000 on it when I bought it ,did not have it long ,but it ran good,as long as you take gorns advice on these you should be fine ,but yes a lot of guys have upgraded to a 350 ,mine when I got it needed valve cover gaskets ,wich is proof of the compression thing ,I know a lot of guys want to keep a car mostly orginal,but an 89 ,you could put alot of diffferent engines in that with so much room under the hood

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-20-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

this one will stay mostly original, however the next one I wont be so nice and gentle with.............I currently have a 462 BBC with a tunnel ram sitting in the corner of my workshop just begging to be dropped into an old 60s model impala........

Old 04-22-2016, 11:26 AM
4th Gear Member

I had fun with that 82 ta with 305 was fun no doubt,this looks like a big project I would restart it in the 82 to 93 projects section ,post a lot of pics ,as other guys with the 305 will want to know what your up to,an what you did

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-22-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

so its a been a few weeks since I made a post. After putting everything together the steering column was still super loose.... After doing mountain of reading and watching youtube videos, I had to pull the steering column back apart and do the 4 torque bolt tension excersise. I did it over a couple of nights as I needed the pin puller to come in from overseas so I could get the adjustable pins out..............I finally got the steering column back together and Ive sold my house so This is where the car has sat now since I did the column. hopefully once I move to my new place Then the whole car will be coming apart to be restored correctly including paint and interior. I'm on the hunt for another complete car at the moment. I might buy a second one to hoon around in while I restore the RS......................At least that's What I'm going to tell the wife.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Can we get a look of hte engine bay yet? =D i want to see just exactly what you have going on. It is a TBI correct?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ANy pics of the engine bay? it is a TBI correct?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Fellow members....... Ive been doing some hefty reading of late and was wondering whos done the LS conversion and what where the pros and cons? now yes before you ask I was going to keep the F boy original HOWEVER I really want this thing to be a "wolf in sheeps clothing" and with so many LS engines and gearboxs around, I was thinking of going down that road instead. Is the a kit I can buy that has the mounts? Being that we usethe gen 3s and later over here it makes sense to to make more horse power with a later model engine.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by B_Dubya
Can we get a look of hte engine bay yet? =D i want to see just exactly what you have going on. It is a TBI correct?
Yes mate, Its originally the TBI HOWEVER its getting a TPI out of a corvette. I already have the TPI manifold, fuel rail, fuel pump, throttle body, and all the sensors, computer, and injection harness that Ive done all the identifying on the harness. that will be the only difference. other than that it will be all original. id like the 16x8 5 star rims if I can find them. its proving very difficult on this side of the planet.

Ill get a few photos of the engine bay and post them up for you guys to see where I'm at

Old 07-31-2016, 10:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I did an LS swap... had plans to document it but got so involved with the project I forgot to take pics. It depends on which route you choose how difficult it can be, If you start with a donor vehicle like I did it and pull the engine, trans, harness and computer it can be a bit frustrating trying to get it to work properly if you decide to remove unecessary wiring like i did. I had to send the computer out to have emissions removed, rear O2 sensors removed and the VATS eliminated. the physical challenges I encountered were cooling system plumbing, transmission crossmember, custom modified driveshaft.

they do make swap plates for motor mounts, you can find them on ebay, I found a TON of info at lt1swap.com as far as pinouts and such and he's the one i sent my computer out to for modification.

I didnt do any modifications to the LS I swapped in since it was running fine in the donor vehicle, If you source you engine, trans, ecm, etc from various sources there are trans controllers and ignition systems/ecms out there that can make a swap very easy... but it can get expensive fast, which is why I did mine the way I did, which kept the cost under $800... if you have any questions feel free to PM me and i'll do my best to answer them and help you along the path if you take that route

Old 08-01-2016, 04:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by dfritz08
I did an LS swap... had plans to document it but got so involved with the project I forgot to take pics. It depends on which route you choose how difficult it can be, If you start with a donor vehicle like I did it and pull the engine, trans, harness and computer it can be a bit frustrating trying to get it to work properly if you decide to remove unecessary wiring like i did. I had to send the computer out to have emissions removed, rear O2 sensors removed and the VATS eliminated. the physical challenges I encountered were cooling system plumbing, transmission crossmember, custom modified driveshaft.

they do make swap plates for motor mounts, you can find them on ebay, I found a TON of info at lt1swap.com as far as pinouts and such and he's the one i sent my computer out to for modification.

I didnt do any modifications to the LS I swapped in since it was running fine in the donor vehicle, If you source you engine, trans, ecm, etc from various sources there are trans controllers and ignition systems/ecms out there that can make a swap very easy... but it can get expensive fast, which is why I did mine the way I did, which kept the cost under $800... if you have any questions feel free to PM me and i'll do my best to answer them and help you along the path if you take that route
Thanks man. But Ill keep this one stock. being that's its only done 50,000 miles, its got the original motor and gearbox, it was built right hand drive, and it was never registered in the USA, ill keep it as it was meant to be................However the fan of horsepower inside me will take over. And Ill probably buy something else that isn't original and ill get the second car making horsepower.

Quick Reply: Jay Cs 89 RS Camaro rebuild