ignition/carb related

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default ignition/carb related

im not by any means too familiar with carbs so this question may be childs play for some. but not me. i noticed that when i turn my ignition, my throttle cable will jump. and while i was in my car today. i noticed my accelerator pedal jumps as well. is there some kind of solenoid or sumthin thats supposed to pump gass or sumthin? idk. any insignt will be appreciated.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: ignition/carb related

There is a soleniod that kicks the throttle for the a/c. Is the a/c or defrost on?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

a/c wasnt on but the heater was on. defrost was off.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Overdrive Member

Locate the solenoid in front of the throttle and unplug it and see if it still does it. It should have one wire

Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

the the auto kickdown solenoid? ill give it a shot. umm. theres somethin else too. since i put the new carb on. ive been havin some issues. it acts like it doesnt wanna go. like... when i hit the gas it kinda hesitates. or the power will go down and then go up. is it a combo of the engine light being on and the air.fuel mixture like i think it is. or is it timing? and where did you get that nifty tool for your carb. i need one.

ok, before on my old carb when you reved it, it would rev immediately. now theres a slight pause before it revs. and it idles a little rough. can i ease all that out with just carb adjust ments or is there some underliying problem.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Overdrive Member

I forgot about your carb difference. Did you bolt the solenoid back on there? Do you have cruise control? That might be messing up.
I got my adjusting tool from the snap on or mac tool truck.
If it were not for your having a computer contoled distributer on your car i would say yes some adjustments on the carb would take care of the slight hesitation.
There is another item I forgot about. If you have an automatic [700R4] then you will also need a controler for the trannys torque converter. I think you can find them in the area of $70 at summitracing.com
I will see if I can find that tool located online

Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Overdrive Member

http://www.thexton.com/vshop/shopdis...uel+Systems%2E
That is the brand tool I have. If you look up "thexton, and tool #350" you should be able to find it cheaper. If you search for GM Quadrajet adjusting tool you can find other brands.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

so when i get that new distributor. i need to get a new controller for my torque converter? and i did put the solenoid back on. if i didnt i think it would ruin my tranny at least thats what the carb book said. .no cruise controll. im doing a tune up tomorrow. see what that evens out. i do have an automatic tranny, but i dont know what the number is. where do i find that.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Overdrive Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
I think this will work for you to do away with the computer. There are also more elaborate ones from B&M but they are twice the money.
The electric solenoid should have nothing to do with the tranny. Its not a kick down solenoid. One way to find out is does it touch the throttle while its closed or open?
Look and see if you have a 4 wire plug on the right side of the trans near the rear above the pan. That would be your connector for the TCC and you can see that plug in the summit pic.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

yea its touching the throttle arm. but i think it can only push it closed. thats what it looks like anyway. it looks as if the cable itself is the onlything that moves. maybe something his hitting it when the ignition comes on. and i will check for that plug tomorrow when its morning. dark out now. what exatly is the purpose of this wire kit. will i have to do everything manually lol. and if so.. what would entail everything. i its just so i can bypass the computer and get that damn light off im all for it lol.