related or pure coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:59 AM
2nd Gear member
Default related or pure coincidence?

Let me say I've had NO problems with my car since the PCV valve popped off. It's been a joy to drive. We even painted the roof of it and I'm very pleased with how well that turned out. Gonna tackle the left rear quarter panel hopefully this weekend and if I choose not to paint the entire car, it really blends well.

Ok so in the 2.5 yrs I've had it, I've never had the "ding" sound when you crank it. About 2 weeks ago, it did. It hasn't done it since. This morning I go to take the kids to school and she dings. I got excited because it's new to me lol. First thing I noticed is the gauge for the battery isn't high enough. Then while it's cranked I tested the battery and it was just under 12 volts which indicates to me that the alternator is just sitting there looking at me and not doing it's job. WHY?! We just put the thing in 2 years ago brand new and as you know history on this car, it hasn't been used a lot. :/

Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok must not be related cause no ding sound now and alt still not charging. Is there a fuse that works this before I take it to garage. Don't want to look stupid lol

Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear member

OK it was alternator. The guy who rebuilt it is a very reputable man here. Even the dealerships recommend him if you need it done and it's not under warranty. It only cost me $25. I forget the name of what he did but you can actually see the part. He asked me what kind of battery I had. I told him it came from walmart. He told me his advice was to get rid of it. He said to avoid walmart, kmart, advanced and a few other places. He gave a long drawn out thing about what happened to the alt and why the battery was the culprit. Has to do with amps? Anyway, he wants me to bring the car to him and let him put it on a machine which I may do. He's only a minute from here. He recommends Napa, Ford (not happening) and Interstate to name a few.

Any of that make sense? Also, my husband put it back on and now I'm afraid the belt will slip off. How do I get over that fear?? It looks tight and looks right and it pulls smoothly but I haven't put it on the road yet. I guess I'm afraid of gunning it and it slip off.

Now I still don't know why my "ding" will ding at crank up every once in a while.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wrong size battery can make trouble just as a wrong amp alternator can. if the alt went it is most likely why the belt flew. have a look from the side and see if all the pulleys look lined up with each other. the ribbed pulleys not so much the flat ones. also check for any pulleys that are wobbly mostly look at the tensioner.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 AM
2nd Gear member

The belt never came off but you have to loosen it to get alt on and off. He said I was like this when it was changed 2 yrs ago. Walmart said this was correct battery so who knows and alternator guy says it's correct alt.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 AM
2nd Gear member

I bit the bullet and drove it this morning. No issues with that. It grunted but it does that every once in a while and it's not related to this.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear member

Ive had a Wal Mart battery in my 98 2500 4x4 for 7 years now and never have an issue. In the past 3 years I only use the truck for hauling and inclement weather use. As long as the size battery is correct for the car ie: CCA and the correct Group, there shouldnt be a problem.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Well there is 2 people disagreeing here. Walmart says yes, alternator guy says no. He says the two doesn't match and that the walmart brand doesn't belong with this type alt.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A previous customer of the alternator guy probably had a Walmart battery and had the alternator go out (unrelated), and now he associates one with the other. Yours was likely the frosting on the cake to solidify his theory. I've used tons of Walmart batteries, with a variety of alternators, and never had an issue like that where the battery "killed" the alternator. Sorry, but I'm not buying into what he's selling you, especially if you bought the right battery according to the application guide. If you do a little research, you'll find that there's only a small handful of battery manufacturers making the same battery, just labeling them differently to create different "brands". I'd be curious to know what kind he uses, and who really makes it.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-04-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 AM
2nd Gear member

How many amps should the alternator be? I'll go find the battery and locate it online and maybe someone can tell me if it's not right.

Quick Reply: related or pure coincidence?