Head light switch broke - FIX??!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Default RE: Head light switch broke - FIX??!?!?!?!

One way to fix the high beam problem is if you have tilt steering, just pull down on the steering wheel while you pull the high beam switch. I have that problem with mine. The plastic cover for the switch isn't staying in place, it moves with the switch. At first I tried just gluing it into place as a temporary fix, it worked for a while but not that effective. So on my car I just have the tilt steering all the way up and it fixes the problem and if that don't work I just yank down on the steering wheel without pulling the tilt steering lock. I'll be fixing it the right way next year. I have to worry about getting my truck ready for the winter. Let me know if it works for you.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Don't hold your breath while waiting for a response from the OP since the last post in this thread (before yours) was two years ago. [8D]

Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

DUDE, what the HE?? did you HIT and did you really SURVIVE???? LOL..

Old 11-19-2008, 01:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I i had that same issue, I pulled apart the steering collumn to replace the lock cylinder and thought i better fix the switch aswell before i put it all back together. I didnt know a new switch was so cheap, on mine the turn signal rod just didnt have enough reach to click the switch in. So i just zapstrapped the rod with the bump on the strap sticking towards it. Works perfectly. Youll need a steering wheel puller aswell as a lockplate remover to take apart the collumn, shouldn't be more than about $30 for both of em at the auto parts store. I found it to be a pretty tough job for somebody who has no experience with cars.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:05 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 91_Camaro_RS

I i had that same issue, I pulled apart the steering collumn to replace the lock cylinder and thought i better fix the switch aswell before i put it all back together. I didnt know a new switch was so cheap, on mine the turn signal rod just didnt have enough reach to click the switch in. So i just zapstrapped the rod with the bump on the strap sticking towards it. Works perfectly. Youll need a steering wheel puller aswell as a lockplate remover to take apart the collumn, shouldn't be more than about $30 for both of em at the auto parts store. I found it to be a pretty tough job for somebody who has no experience with cars.
You're refering to the rod that actuates the huigh beam switch? The high beam switch is adjustable. Since the rod pushes and not pulls the switch may have slid back some.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OOOOOOO that makes sense lol. I was like how in the hell could that rod get worn out so bad. Well whatever I am quite pleased with the operation of it with the zapp strap and its definatly not worth pulling apart the steering column again. I will remember for future reference though.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Overdrive Member

There is no need to pull apart the column to adjust that switch. At most you need to pull the panel(s) off from under the dash and two nuts to allow the column to drop down giving you easier access. The high beam switch is bolted onto the ignition switch on top the tube near the bottom, close to the firewall.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:40 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, what mike said, except its actually called the dimmer switch, haha. The headlights in mine didnt work at all, I knew the headlight switch was bad, so I replaced it and it did no good, so I dropped the column and replaced the dimmer switch. Works great now, but I do have to say it is a PITA to replace. Lots of sharp objects in a tight area combined with little screws and a piece that has to be placed right to work equals lots of fun.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Overdrive Member

Dimmer, high beam, no need to quibble.The switchgoes both ways. And technicaly since we are not suposed to drive with high beams on and that switch is used to turn the high beams on, It does not dim like a dimmer in your home, High beam switch works better.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Yeah, what mike said, except its actually called the dimmer switch, haha. The headlights in mine didnt work at all, I knew the headlight switch was bad, so I replaced it and it did no good, so I dropped the column and replaced the dimmer switch. Works great now, but I do have to say it is a PITA to replace. Lots of sharp objects in a tight area combined with little screws and a piece that has to be placed right to work equals lots of fun.
Lol and im sure i will have fun, I'll check it out tommorow. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Head light switch broke - FIX??!?!?!?!