Head light switch broke - FIX??!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Head light switch broke - FIX??!?!?!?!

My headlight switch broke in the steering colum. Its still intact but there are no clicks when i try to turn on the brights. I have to travel about 50 miles from school, at night, in the middle of nowhere, twice a week. And the two headlights just arnt cutting it! How hard is this to replace or fix this switch? What special tools do i need? Please POST! I need it fixed ASAP! Thanks for any posts in advance. -Steve

P.S. - 1992 RS TBI AIRBAG

Old 02-20-2006, 08:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Head light switch broke - FIX??!?!?!?!

There's a plastic actuator in the column that controls the dimmer switch. Costs around 16 dollars at your local GM dealer. Thats the good news. Bad news is you have to tear the column down to get to it. should be just below the windshield wiper pivot.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

CRAP! Well I'm confused. So other than taking my column apart is it rather easy? My wiper, cruise control, turn signals, and brights are all on this switch. Is this the same cloicker your talking about?

Old 02-21-2006, 07:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

COLUMN VIEW

#83 Is the actuall dimmer switch at the base of the column.
#77 is the rod for the switch.
#20 is the actuator, the plastic piece that usually breaks. and rides against the back of #23

Old 02-22-2006, 12:01 AM

You can always do like I did and get a floor dimmer. Unless yours is a manual. I just mounted one at the padding where the left foot goes. As long as it's a 3 prong switch it'll work. I think the one I got is from an 85 or so S10. It cost me around 5 bucks for the switch.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well if I have to take apart the steering column, I might as well replace the part. If I'm not able to replace the part itself, I might have to go your way. Thanks -Steve

Old 11-27-2006, 08:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey, I just bought a 94z about two weeks ago and I have the same prob with the lever pulling forward and not doing anything, except the brights were left on. I drive at night all the time coming to and from work and etc. so I was blind everyone on the road... I disconnected the brights so all I have now are thelows, but I'm very unfamiliar with camaros and aren’t even a 100% sure where the brights switch is. I'm assuming it’s the lever along with the wipers, cruse, and turn signals but im not sure. I say that because it does have the movement where you can pull the lever towards you but it doesn’t do anything. Can someone let me know? thanks,

Jake

Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Overdrive Member

The switch for the high beam is at the bottom of the column. no need to tear it all apart. Remove the panel under the dash above your feet and you will see it on the left side of the column. It has a rod going to it and bolts to the Ignithion switch. It may be bad or just out of adjustment.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Overdrive Member

OOPS! My bad. I see the problem now nimrod....Your car is smashed on that side. And you worry about high beams.
If you need I may be able to take a pic of the switch in its location for you.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

You can put a new switch in or fog lights

Quick Reply: Head light switch broke - FIX??!?!?!?!