Garage sale find-'91 RS T top car

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Naaaah, t-tops were available on both V6 and V8 models.
Hey Vall, I have some spare parts if your buddy ever needs anything: new alternator, set of t-tops (the plastic ones), new t-top weatherstripping, gauge cluster... I think that's it.
Also, did you ever see my air cleaner thread from a few years ago?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Nickel Plated
Yea, your OP kinda surprised me when you said you found a V6 with T-Tops. I'm by no means a 3rd Gen expert (not even a 4th Gen one and I actually own one of those )

But from all the window shopping I've done on craigslist, I just couldn't find a V6 3rd Gen with T-Tops, which kinda led me to assume that they probably weren't available with T-Tops. Only on the V8s.

Got me all excited there for a second.
I do know of one for sure! One of the guys who worked for me back in '86 bought a new Camaro RS with T tops and it was a V6. I remember giving him a bad time about buying a RS with a V6 instead of a V8. We rode to work together, and I was surprised that it was pretty peppy as a new car with V6 back then. But he soon regretted the choice as it got some miles and didn't seem to be as quick anymore.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Naaaah, t-tops were available on both V6 and V8 models.
Hey Vall, I have some spare parts if your buddy ever needs anything: new alternator, set of t-tops (the plastic ones), new t-top weatherstripping, gauge cluster... I think that's it.
Also, did you ever see my air cleaner thread from a few years ago?
No, I can't say as I saw the air cleaner thread. I'll have to see if I can find it. Since his car looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor, I don't think he needs any parts. It was only on the road for 10 years, and then sat since then in the garage. Once he cleaned the engine compartment, and washed the dust off everywhere, it looks perfect on the exterior.
Unfortunately the owner was a smoker, and it appears she flipped her cigarettes out the window, and they came back in occasionally! There are numerous cigarette burn holes in the driver's side back seat on the red cloth interior. So he'll have to get driver's side front and rear seats both repaired.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh man, gotta love to hate smoking the more you see that kinda sh....tuff.
Here's my old school air cleaner thread: https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92...305-tbi-28278/

Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

We looked at it a biut more yesterday. Found the relay was not working, and we jumpered it, but still no gas. Pulled filter and it was plugged. Replaced it and got gas to the throttle body, but still not running. Needs a kit in the throttle body, as it seems it's gummed up. Never messed with those, so we'll be learning soon.
Plugged the relay back in and it started working without a jumper. Must have been connection issues. Hope it stays working now. Kit for throttle body rebuild is $39, so he's getting one to go through it.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I rebuilt my TBI, easier to work on than a carb. Disconnect the fuel inlet line to the TBI and stick it into a container, then make sure you're getting good fuel pressure when you prime the pump. Gas should come out with pretty good force, mine barely dribbled out.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sure looks simpler than a carb! We're pulling it apart; a first for both of us! Guess we'll see what's involved. They said an "injector kit" was $30, and complete rebuild kit $39. Not sure of the difference, but he got the complete kit.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Put the kit in today, and also replaced the injectors, but seems to not be getting a signal to fire the injectors? It runs great with gas poured down the throttle body, but can't get voltage across the injector plugs. I get voltage to ground on one side, but not across. I assume the signal tells something to ground the other side to complete a circuit and close the voltage?
Does this signal come from the distributor? Any ideas on trouble shooting this?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I presume you were checking injector voltage while cranking, and not just in the key on position?
The ignition module in the distributor sends a signal to the ECM, which in turn controls the injectors.
Are you getting spark to the plugs?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Something else you can check is the wires and plug connections at the ECM.
Pins D14 & C15 (dark green wires) control the left side injector.
Pins D15 & D16 (dark blue wires) control the right side injector. Those are all next to each other.
So there are two wires each from the ECM that splice into each other down the line, then goes to the injectors.
Remove the plug at the ECM and check for corrosion, bent pin, or broken wire, paying attention to the above pin #'s.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-30-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Garage sale find-'91 RS T top car