Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/)
-   -   Garage sale find-'91 RS T top car (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/garage-sale-find-91-rs-t-top-car-74929/)

1971BB427 07-21-2013 09:05 PM

Garage sale find-'91 RS T top car

Buddy and I were running around today, and went past a garage sale, so we stopped to look. Lady had lots of car parts that belonged to her late husband, and we picked up some great items cheap! I got a old Offenhauser dual quad intake, with two Carter AFB's for $50, and he bought a T10 4 speed with linkage for $200.
We were about to leave when we noticed a old white Camaro sitting right in the middle of the garage covered with clothes and boxes. We asked what the Camaro was, and she said it was her '92 RS that had been sitting there for the last 12 years. When asked if it was for sale she said, "Yes, but I haven't driven it for the last 12 years."
We looked it over and saw the odometer had 150,000 miles on it. Engine is a V6, and trans a 5 speed manual. All original car; rust free, and no dents we could see, although it's hard to see it really well all over. All the tires look good, but were all flat. When we asked why it was parked so long, she said it had a bad muffler, and she started driving her Honda, and just never got back to the Camaro.
After looking it over well my buddy asked how much? She said to make an offer, and he said, "How's $700?" She took his offer. So we're taking a trailer over tomorrow to drag it home, and then we'll start cleaning and checking things. Probably need all the fluids changed, and the fuel tank cleaned, plus lines blown out. But I think for a decent rust free T top RS, with low mileage, it was a great buy. Should make a nice daily driver too if it runs out well after clean up.

Everett#2390 07-22-2013 11:01 AM

Right place, right time.
Congrats on the good buys, all of them.

1971BB427 07-23-2013 08:35 AM

Got the Camaro home yesterday, and a couple surprises. First we got the sticky hood latch to release, and saw the engine for the first time, which is NOT a V6, but a 305 V8! Looks like a new car under the hood too!
Got the title paperwork, and it's a '91, not a '92. There's a small repair needed to the driver's side seat. We couldn't even open the doors when it was in the garage, with all the junk stacked around it.
Started the clean up yesterday, and will need to change and flush all the liquids before firing it up. Need to see if there's any fuel in the tank and drain that, plus treat the tank with Seafoam.

Camaro 69 07-23-2013 11:51 AM

Nice, I used to have a 91 RS. Was a fun car, but no monster on the pavement. Hopefully you won't have any fuel supply issues. The one I bought had been sitting for 2 years, and the rubber fuel pump to sending unit connector had deteriorated and split open. Tank had to come down just to fix that stupid connector, and I replaced the pump while in there. Dropping the tanks on these isn't nearly as easy as what you're used to!

1971BB427 07-24-2013 09:26 AM

My understanding is you don't drop the tank unless you don't want to roll back the carpet and cut a hole. Is that correct? From what I've seen most people cut an access hole to get to pump and hoses, then make a cover plate from sheet metal.

Camaro 69 07-24-2013 10:09 AM

Been there, tried that. That works on 4th gen's, but not on 3rd gen's since there are no disconnects on any of the lines. That means cutting the steel lines in place, and flaring at least the high pressure supply line to reconnect. And without cutting the lines, the sending unit is not going to come up and out. Unless you want to half-ars it, take your chances on safety, and use a rubber splice (which I wouldn't recommend). I took pics of mine when I did it if you want to see what the lines look like under there. That all might be a moot point at the moment, unless you need to drop the tank.

1971BB427 07-25-2013 10:28 AM

I was under there yesterday, as we tried to fire the car without much success. It appears the fuel pump isn't getting power. I poured fuel down the throttle body and it fired right up, but of course stopped quickly. Did this several times with the same result.
Checked for power at the plug above the axle and no 12v. there. Fuses are all good, so I'm guessing a fuel pump relay? Need to do some homework and see if there is a relay, and it's location today.

Camaro 69 07-25-2013 12:02 PM

The pump relay is on the relay block, driver's side firewall. Should be at least 2 relays there (can't remember what the other one does). I believe they're the same type, and you could swap them and see if the pump powers up. There is also a fuel pump test connector, on the passenger side engine compartment harness, that you can jump power to for directly powering the pump. Also look for a small black fuse box, either near the battery, or near the inner fender in the battery area. Not sure about all years 3rd gens, but if you have one, it's related to the fuel pump/oil switch circuit.

1971BB427 07-25-2013 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 675903)
The pump relay is on the relay block, driver's side firewall. Should be at least 2 relays there (can't remember what the other one does). I believe they're the same type, and you could swap them and see if the pump powers up. There is also a fuel pump test connector, on the passenger side engine compartment harness, that you can jump power to for directly powering the pump. Also look for a small black fuse box, either near the battery, or near the inner fender in the battery area. Not sure about all years 3rd gens, but if you have one, it's related to the fuel pump/oil switch circuit.

Thanks! I found the two relays, and I found some info that said there was a fuse block near the battery and a fuse marked ECM that fed the fuel pump or relay. I also found some info that said there was a pink and gray wires going to the correct relay for pump.
He was working today, and I was rebuilding the rear wheel studs and lug nuts on the Falcon, so maybe tomorrow we can check the relay and fuse.

Nickel Plated 07-25-2013 10:40 PM

and saw the engine for the first time, which is NOT a V6, but a 305 V8!
Yea, your OP kinda surprised me when you said you found a V6 with T-Tops. I'm by no means a 3rd Gen expert (not even a 4th Gen one and I actually own one of those :p)

But from all the window shopping I've done on craigslist, I just couldn't find a V6 3rd Gen with T-Tops, which kinda led me to assume that they probably weren't available with T-Tops. Only on the V8s.

Got me all excited there for a second.