Fuel Pump or relay, or Advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Default Fuel Pump or relay, or Advise

Barely a novice mechanic here! Have an 89 IROC, 350 fuel injected. I can get the car started, idle for 10-20 minutes, drive it for about 2 miles, and it starts coughing-stalls, and will not re-start until it completely cools off, usually the next day! I can temporarily start the car by squirting some fuel directly into the injection(?) but it will then die as a result of not getting fuel. Also, when starting, or trying to start, I can no longer hear the fuel pump motor make the hm sound when engaging the ignitio, as well as not hearing the whoosh when you open the gas tank. I've had people tell me it is the EGR valve, oxygen sensor, etcetera. I would hate to spend a lot of money on the fuel pump if that will not fix it, as someone else has already done that in the forums. Checked the fuse, it is ok, not sure but could the fuel pump relay(?) be doing this, or is it down to just changing the fuel pump, filter, and strainer. Also, I've read where someone has actulally cut an access panel to the fuel pump through the trunk. Good or bad idea, any how-to's on that process? Thanks!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: Fuel Pump or relay, or Advise

sorry man, sounds like a fuel pump 2 me

Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Tech Droid

You can try a new relay as it does not cost that much, but most likely it is the pump.

There is another wierd thing, the oil pressure sensor. Once the engine is started the and the oil pressure is above 5 PSI, the power to the pump is provided through a contact in the oil pressure sensor, probably a safety thing to shut down the engine in case of bad oil pressure. So this is something else to look at.

As far as cutting a hole in the floor, this is a trick used by some shops to save time. However, they still charge book hours. If you want to go this route, you need to know exactly where the tank opening is in relation to the floor, and then carefully cut a hole about 1" larger than the opening in the tank. After the pump is changed, get a piece of sheet metal about 1" larger than the hole you cut, use silicone sealer to keep water from coming into the car, and pop rivet it in place. Put the carpet back over it and no one will notice. Do not use a torch to cut the hole, use a battery powered jig saw with a fine toothed metal cutting blade. If the blade strikes the top of the tank, grind the tip of the blade down so it does't hit the tank. Also use a battery powered drill to make the holes for the pop rivets.

For obvious reasons, you really want to avoid making sparks aound the gas tank. Make sure the battery is disconnected !!

Old 09-13-2005, 01:51 AM

Thanks for the advice so far, and Z28Pete, appreciate your detailed info on getting to the pump. As to the oil pressure sensor, where exactly is that located, or what is it connected to? Haven't found it yet in the Chilton manual. Thanks

Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Tech Droid

The oil pressure sensor should be above the oil filter. Orange wire goes to the Fuel Pump relay, the Gray wire goes to the pump. There may be other wires, but they are not involved with the fuel pump.