Fuel Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Fuel Octane

Now you've gone and done it Spec!
Your "overly sarcastic and generally unhelpful when it comes to the tech sections" comment about Mike is waaaaaay off-base. Mod or not, that wasn't called for, nor is it the truth. If that's what you and the "other mods" see in him, then you guys haven't been paying close enough attention. I spend a good portion of my time in the 1st and 3rd gen sections since I have both. So, I have been able to witness a lot. Sure, he may kick in some sarcasm now and then, and so do I. But in general, the great majority of responses given are nothing but helpful. I think something more needs to be said, because I don't feel Mike deserved that.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Overdrive Member

Like I said, I've seen both sides. I've seen Mike give some great tech advice, but I've also seen him post in a thread just to bash someone. I don't have too much of a basis on this though since most of my time is spent elsewhere. If Mike has an issue with Spec and I disagreeing with some of the "info" he posted and that makes him want to leave, nobody is going to stop him, but you can't be right all the time and you have to know how to deal with people showing you that, if you just flip out and start swearing, frankly you need to have a reality check...

Old 12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

In my post I was mearly trying to say that back in the early 2000 fuel companysstarted using oxygenative additives quite a bit tomake the fuel burn cleaner in part to meet an emisson standard these fuels do burn more complete although not totally complete.That is my correlation between clean and complete I guess.... I know about the additives because I need tohave some of them analyzed for work that I do.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/cbgmtbe.htm

Right now the best I can do on the detonation question for validity is a thread from speed talk ... in particular mad bill and the ford swap one. http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...sc&start=0

Old 12-19-2008, 04:04 PM
March 2008 ROTM

[sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=lame.gif]

yall just ran out probably the most knowledgeable poster here. aaand yall are proud of it? HIGH FIVE!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Overdrive Member

Back to the point: Everyone should read this, it's extremely informative.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f103/detona...nition-281822/

Old 12-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Now you've gone and done it Spec!
Your "overly sarcastic and generally unhelpful when it comes to the tech sections" comment about Mike is waaaaaay off-base. Mod or not, that wasn't called for, nor is it the truth. If that's what you and the "other mods" see in him, then you guys haven't been paying close enough attention. I spend a good portion of my time in the 1st and 3rd gen sections since I have both. So, I have been able to witness a lot. Sure, he may kick in some sarcasm now and then, and so do I. But in general, the great majority of responses given are nothing but helpful. I think something more needs to be said, because I don't feel Mike deserved that.
check PMs
were not starting a pissing match in here. if you guys would like to continue the discussion on octanes (which i actually find very relevant because MANY people really misunderstand it) then by all means........

Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Droid

Scientific description: LOL
Ping (spark knock, preignition)sounds like someone shaking a coffe can with a bunch of dried beans inside, comes & goes depending on engine load.
Knock (due to a bad bearing) sounds like the bottom end of the engine is being hit with a brass hammer. Follows engine speed.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I cant explain it.... but I can tell you, at least in my expariance that knock goes away as rpms increase. or is it ping. Is it possible for the CC to be so hot that it pre-ignites the fuel , say if the timing were too far advanced? and then the remaining fuel, that wasnt shot out of the exhaust valves is still resudual, also ignites? and because the engine has been in such bad repair, there is a ton of buildup in the CC, that you get nothing but a constant ignition, but it pulses... a stronger fire with ever revolution and spark? I dont even think I understand the question.[&o]

Oh, to answer the origional question... I use mid in my DD and high grade in the rover. Low in the Superbeetle and will use mid in the 69. low in the snow blower and lawn mower too...

Old 12-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Ninja Administrator

most EFI fuel tables decrease timing at higher rpm, which is probably why you see less knock in practice.

I run over 40 degrees @ mid throttle mid rpm. I run over 30 at mid rpm WOT, and it drops to 24 near redline. I still get knock around redline and nothing in the midrange. 7-9 degrees in timing is huge.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Wow, I always knew the mods here were thick headed, but damn. Mike never giving helpful information? Yeah freaking right, where have you two been? He's the one that takes his time to help the noobs, with questions that are asked 100's of times, when the rest of us are too lazy to. He's the one that has almost every 3rd gen spec etched into is brain, and is nice enough to share it. Hell, I dont think my Camaro would be where it is without the help he has given.

Are you f*cking stupid or something?

Quick Reply: Fuel Octane