Fuel Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fuel Octane

I just need one of you knowledgable guys to help me out. lol Anyone from PA or MD that would give my engine a look? Cash paid

Old 12-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

with the energy of gas combustion, and the fact that the heat of the chamber alone can ignite it, you would have to be running 300 rating gasoline before that is an issue. if you arent getting full combustion of gasoline you will want to look toward your air/fuel mixing well before you look at octane. for al intents and purposes you can never go too high with octane, but there is a point where u are wasting money because you eliminated all knock 3 points ago
I read in a hot rod magazine about higher octane fuel being slower burning and how unburned fuel could make it out the exhaust. It was explained better than I could do it. Not only that but about 4 or 5 years ago 76 advertised "92 octane now with complete burn technology". Now why would they advertise that if it was never an issue.
Oh and when we are riding and go to the motorcycle races at Sears point and fill up with 100 octane. When you are behind some one with that high an octane you can smelldamn near raw gasreal well.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: kyleag89

I just need one of you knowledgable guys to help me out. lol Anyone from PA or MD that would give my engine a look? Cash paid
cash paid you say? hell i can make my way to PA or MD if the money is right.. haha

Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Overdrive Member

you are thinking of the wrong services. I think the poster wants a mechanic, not a companion for an evening. [8D]

Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I am dead serious...I need a mechanic bad... I replaced my plug wires tonight and now the car wont start. I did it one at a time with 7mm wires. Im thinking the wire is too small and its not getting enough spark? There was 8mm wires on it.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

I read in a hot rod magazine about higher octane fuel being slower burning and how unburned fuel could make it out the exhaust. It was explained better than I could do it. Not only that but about 4 or 5 years ago 76 advertised "92 octane now with complete burn technology". Now why would they advertise that if it was never an issue.
Oh and when we are riding and go to the motorcycle races at Sears point and fill up with 100 octane. When you are behind some one with that high an octane you can smelldamn near raw gasreal well.
really? the turbonator has been advertising "complete fuel burn" for several years now . "complete burn" has NEVER been a real issue, its just that misinformed consumers see it as an issue so we these god aweful products that prey on these misconceptions. You ought to know better...... you act like people in the communications industry have a scientific cell in their body.... and most fuels over 96 octanes are leaded, and therefore designated "off road only". these fuels have a distinct smell to them

weve had a dozen threads over the last couple months about miracle fuel savers, and EVERY SINGLE ONE says something about atomization or mixing to increase % fuel burn even when the underlying principles are counterintuitive or completely unrelated.

the octane rating, in the simplest sense, relates only to the activation energy of the combustion reaction. lower octanes have a lower AE, therefore it takes less energy to get them to react. heat=energy. which is why many people experience more knock with a hot engine. the rating, as a resistance to detonation, has nothing to do with the kinetics. if it WAS kinetically hindered, you would expect knock to go AWAY with increasing rpm as the "reaction chamber", the cylinder, is left alone to react for shorter periods of time. this isnt the case. detonation increases with rpm due to the increased heat.

you NEVER want complete fuel burn. that right there completely negates your 76 argument as complete hoo-ha. if you want to see proof of this look at the AFR (14.7) measured in the exhaust manifold. unburnt fuel is NECESSARY to the operation of the engine. combusting fuel releases more heat than it absorbs, liquid fuel, however, absorbs heat without detonating, and this AFR is a measure of how much is left. it acts as a heat quencher, therefore if you add too much fuel, you get too much heat quenching and eventually can get to the point where the heat from the reaction is consumed and the reaction stopped. too little and the engine gets too hot and you start to get detonation or you just melt engine components.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

you are thinking of the wrong services. I think the poster wants a mechanic, not a companion for an evening. [8D]
ether way.. hahaha

Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok well I have my neighbor coming over tomorrow afternoon to look at it. I will let you know what happens.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

really? the turbonator has been advertising "complete fuel burn" for several years now . "complete burn" has NEVER been a real issue, its just that misinformed consumers see it as an issue so we these god aweful products that prey on these misconceptions. You ought to know better...... you act like people in the communications industry have a scientific cell in their body.... and most fuels over 96 octanes are leaded, and therefore designated "off road only". these fuels have a distinct smell to them
You know what you read on the subject and I know what I have read. We could argue until we are blue in the face and may never get our points through to one another. Its not worth it.

And you can get 100 unleaded here..... If ya like to spend 7-8 a gallon. [:-]

Old 12-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Ninja Administrator

i typically dont read for my opinions on these things..... 4 years of study in chemistry and thermodynamics do wonders on these subjects

Quick Reply: Fuel Octane