Fuel Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:39 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Fuel Octane

yes.

with that said me and you are sure to be attacked by some retarded a$$ ban hampster.. whos brainchild is that anyway?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:46 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Eh, im not worried about it. If you, me, and mike were to be gone, the only one to really answer anything would be 69.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Ninja Administrator

This thread has been cleaned. Ive even taken my own non-technical responses out so nobody can say i am just trying to get the last word in. That is not, and never has been, my intention. No further hijacks will be tolerated at all.

if you want to continue talking about octanes, how fuel/knock/whatever works, then by all means continue. Any complaints about what happened here need to be sent in PM, or the poster will suffer the consequences. No more of this on the open forum. ok?
now lets all start getting along again.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

most EFI fuel tables decrease timing at higher rpm, which is probably why you see less knock in practice.

I run over 40 degrees @ mid throttle mid rpm. I run over 30 at mid rpm WOT, and it drops to 24 near redline. I still get knock around redline and nothing in the midrange. 7-9 degrees in timing is huge.

Could you explain a little more about the efi table decreasing timing at a higher rpm? I want to continue the detonation discussion some more after I follow along on this.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Ninja Administrator

I will try to pull mine up later. a typical EFI timing table has a high stop w/ low cylinder air mass and high rmp. its irratic, but we typically end up taking timing away from up top. its just the way it is.
if u want a general schema:
low timing down low, high timing in middle, medium timing up high in rpm.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Ill try reading up a little on the efi stuff.. what I am wondering is the timing you are talking about related to ignition timing or a timing event for the efi

Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Ninja Administrator

ignition timing. the table is actually named "Main Spark vs Cyl Airmass"

Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

On this link there is a timing table down on the page is this the type of table you are refering to? http://www.stealth316.com/2-ignitionsystem.htm
If I am understanding you correctly you are saying that at wide open throttle you timing goes from advanced to retarded as rpm increases"I run over 30 at mid rpm WOT, and it drops to 24 near redline" is this becuase the load lesses near redline? Ive spent a good hour trying to find a map with a decent explaination.
Onour old small block just set up for racing we dont have a vacuum advance just a mechanical I cant remember exactly where the base timing is set but it is around 16 degrees the mechanical advance is 20 degrees andcomes in fully before 4000 rpm for a total advance of 36 degrees. Anything above 4000 rpm doesnt change the timing. We run a 2800 rpm stall so our window of advance is short once underway its not any different than a locked distributor.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Ninja Administrator

i will admit that ive seen some other maps. the pills that come with the 6ls for example, ramp up and max out at redline. they are also designed for carbed applications and im not sure if that would make a difference or not. I would think not but maybe the way the fuel is added requires some extra timing, i dont know.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking the retarding of the timing might be because the knock senser is detecting the detonation you said you could hear at the high rpm....

Quick Reply: Fuel Octane