Frame Warped , cost to fix ??? PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Frame Warped , cost to fix ??? PLEASE READ!

Ok, as many of you may know.... I have wrecked my 91' RS 4 days after I had the tranny rebuilt... The impact of the wreck warped my frame on the front driver's side. The driver's side wheel is leaning on the strut itself and everytime I move the car or if it rolls ... the strut actually cuts the tire closer to the rim. Not good. I know I will have to have the frame straightened out. I have looked all around where I live to have someone pull my frame back out . And there is only one place close by that can do it. He wants to charge " roughly $245 - $250 ". Now my question is ... Is this a good deal ? He says he can pull the frame back out to the factory specifications but, he needs the new parts ( front clip, and driver side fender ), so that he knows that it his work has aligned the holes up for the fender and clip to bolt on. How does it sound guys ? Keep in mind I really need my car back to finish college. I appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks much,

Z3R0

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Frame Warped , cost to fix ??? PLEASE READ!

First off I am not a expert on this. I worked as a wrench at a dealer and my friend was a body man. If I remember right with the high end frame machines they can pull your car and get it right without the new body parts. They have gages to veryify the factory measurement. The old school way of doing it was to get eveything square (aka cross measured) and get the body pannel aligned.

Make sure the guy knows what you need and that you are in school. If he does not have they right equipment maybe he can do a quick pull now and a front end alignment then this summer you can get cosmedic/finish pull done. I have seen quick pulls done onsaging 2nd gen camarosin less then an hour. There is a good chance you will have to pay $200 now and the $250 later cause of the setup involved.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not sure what machine that he is using. But he said it could take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. And I am not currently in school because I dont have my car or any other vehicle. Not to mention my school is 60 miles away ... 120 miles a day.
thx!

But still is it a good deal or not ?

Z3R0

Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Droid

I realize that you have to get the work done in a hurry and you may have no other option but to get what you have fixed. But personally, I would go to a salvage yard and get a used subframe that was not bent up. These things are made of high strength steel and once bent they become permanently weakened. Changing them out is not difficult, but is time consuming. However; if the frame was bent, the bodywork was also bent, andit wont fit on a straight frame, so you still need to go to a body shop and get the body put back straight.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:00 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First of all, hows it goin man?

Personally, I dont think it is worth messing with. Find yourself a decent camaro or firebird with a blown/no motor for a few hundred bucks and drop your engine and built tranny into it.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Pete you tlakin about pulling out the frame and going to a scrap yard and pull one and put on it ... yea too much effort lmao ... i love the car but not that much. However Jr. Mechanic i like your idea man. but the only problem is, theres not that many camaro's around here. well atleast not buckets that have no engines or tranny. IDK, i'll have to go scope around and kick over some rocks and find me a camaro from a scrap yard and see how much they want for it ... if nothing else theres still other parts on my carmaro that could goto the from the scrap yard. my 91 could be the donor car so to speak. My question now is what years do i look for ? What years of camaro's will my 91 parts work with ?

I appreciate all of your help!

and I'm tryin to hang in there Jr.

Z3R0