First time changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the first time i changed my plugs on the camaro, it took 2 hours. the second time took 45 minutes. i did find out though the bosch +4's foul in a stock, low compression engine. they lasted 5k miles before they were junk

Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by marc104
Sneaky, you said it smokes a "good bit sometimes." Does it smoke after the car has been idling? My 89 used to smoke when I first bought it, especially while idling and when I started it up in the morning. Turns out my problem were the drain holes in the heads were stopped up and the oil was pooling up on top of the heads. Look into the oil filler hole with a flashlight to check if the oil is pooling. I cleared the holes with a coat hanger.
Only on start up is smokes. Then maybe a little bit before I get going. Warm or cold, but usually more when its warm after repeat start ups. Thanks for replies guys.

And omg yesterday we went to look at this house and couldn't find it. So, we are going in alot of circle and no outlets. So im mostly under 25mph and lots of reverses. The car over heated really bad to 260+. So I turned it off and coolant rushed/bubbled out of the radiator cap. Probably a good qaurt or more. Is this because of my stupid 305? It usually runs hot but, that was just scary. when i turned it off I heard the noise of bubbling and my gf was like "is it going to explode!?!?" I'm like . lol

EDIT: I put in NGK V-power resistor type spark plugs.
UR4
No.6630

Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You around this weekend? PM me your address and time you will be there. I can stop by and check out the plugs. Sounds like we should do a pressure test on the coolant system also. Maybe Tomorrow?
I can bring the other stuff over too.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 AM
1st Gear Member

PMing. Thanks.
Will be outside for like 2 hours than be back.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for coming down gorn. He gave everything a quick look over and pressure tested. which led to a leak in my upper radiator hose and and I need a new water pump. So that solves this heating up issue. He also checked the plugs which seem pretty decent. my carb's choke wasnt working because spring housing needed to be adjusted and tightened. He also gave me a small air compressor for free . Thanks so much gorn and you have a beautiful family, thanks for stopping by.

Lol also gorn after I tightened the carb up. I turned it on and it shot up to 3500 rpms. So I need to readjust the idle again. Also if you find any house for sale in owrigsburg with a 2 car garage or a lot to build one for $50k let me know . I work at schuylkill haven casket co. so that isnt to far away.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't forget the Rad Cap. Once you get all the other stuff fixed we should pressure test again. Plugs where not oil fouled so the smoke is not effecting the way the car runs much if at all. You have strong constant vacuum which is always a good sign

There should be a second idle adjustment for choke on idle. Maybe next time I'll be able to stick around more or you can just bring it by the house.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Don't forget the Rad Cap. Once you get all the other stuff fixed we should pressure test again. Plugs where not oil fouled so the smoke is not effecting the way the car runs much if at all. You have strong constant vacuum which is always a good sign

There should be a second idle adjustment for choke on idle. Maybe next time I'll be able to stick around more or you can just bring it by the house.

Yes I would love to hang around. Anytime your doing something I wouldn't mind being there. I learned today alone. I just bought this water pump! Should be here wensday.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/en...ml#post4245924