First time changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default First time changing spark plugs

Well this is the first time I ever changed the plugs, and it wasn't to bad. I used a T-bar and it made taking them off pretty easy. the hardest part was taking off those Super duty boots near the exhaust manifold. I got burnt like 10 times lol. Well i wanted to post picks of the old plugs to see if yous could tell me anything but i couldn't really get detailed pictures. Gorn if you see this can I bring them up and you can look at them? I'll pm you than too.

Last edited by Mesosneaky; 08-05-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

is that carbon deposits? from rich mixture. If so I just got a pressure test kit and did that today. I was at about 10-12 psi. Now my mixture screws are almost all the way screwed in but I got the psi to about 18. Also it sounded like my rpms went higher but i didnt think of that till now so I got to lower thos probably too aint?

I used the test on the opening on the back of the intake.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

not very detailed, but the one on the right looks normal, maybe a tad clean. the other one being dark is probably just oil from the valve seals or slight blow by. how many miles are on them?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know car has about 147k on it. And bought from a dealership with no records of previous owner. Ya my camera aint the best took like 10 photos and that was the clearest. I do believe i have a good bit of flow by like you said she smokes a good bit sometimes. Thanks for reply.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look like two different types of plugs. one is not working to well but with the picture so blurry its hard to tell. could be valve guides or rings or just need tuned up.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

First let me say THANK YOU for asking an intelligent question. All anybody around here seems to ask anymore is 'is this a good deal?" and "will these rims fit"???

Your plugs look normal. An engine with 147k is going to have a little blowby and some deposits left on the plugs. As long as they arent greasy black or sooty white, you are doing fine.

Reading plugs is a science, but stick to the above and you will get by.

Welcome to the burned knuckle club.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just be glad you don't have headers... Turns a half hour job into a three hour job.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Just be glad you don't have headers... Turns a half hour job into a three hour job.
hah yay well it was up on ramps to cuz i was changing the oil also. the 4th one on the driver side I had to go under the car to get at it. I will eventually get a full exhuast on after I get the 350 togethor. First things first is saving for the down payment on a house . going to check this house out its in a so/so neighborhood but seem like it would fit my needs. plus it has a garage .

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...01_1109445119#

Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sneaky, you said it smokes a "good bit sometimes." Does it smoke after the car has been idling? My 89 used to smoke when I first bought it, especially while idling and when I started it up in the morning. Turns out my problem were the drain holes in the heads were stopped up and the oil was pooling up on top of the heads. Look into the oil filler hole with a flashlight to check if the oil is pooling. I cleared the holes with a coat hanger.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The plug on the right looks fairly "normal", from what can be seen. If the other one is black from running rich, it would only be soot that wipes off. If it has black crusty gunky junk, then it's oil.
Oh, and here's a helpful hint, wait for the engine to cool a little before reaching for the plugs.

Quick Reply: First time changing spark plugs