first camaro and first project car

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Default first camaro and first project car

hey all, about 4 months ago i bought an 84 z-28 as an answer to my constant frustration with import 4 bangers. it had a 350 swapped in already, but i think the guy who owned it b4 me was a burger and fries short of a value meal, cuz 90% of the engine was poorly neglected and alot of it wasnt even hooked up or bolted down properly. so i decided to fix that from the start [8D]. i started with a rebuilt 4 bolt short block from a pre-79 camaro, bored .040 over with a mild comp cam. next i had the iron heads redone completely and polished. i put an edlebrock performer intake and 600 cfm carb up top, and 1 5/8 to 3 in. hooker headers to a 3 in. mandrel bent, side exit, full dual flowmasterexhaust. its got a five speed in it now with a 3.73 posi out back. now to my question.

i want to know if a t-56 6 speed will mate up to my bell housing. i was pretty sure my tranny was a t-5, but i looked and it says borg-warner on the side (i think they are the same, but like i said im new to domestics.) and as far as ive seen, the t-5's and t-56's look like they have the same shell and mounting plate. if anyone knows or can tell who would know about hookin up a six speed. im also looking for the aftermarket screw style belt tensioners that you see in Chevy HI-PO and Camaro Performers mags, and yet again, im looking for the blower motor cover that doesnt have A/C inlets, its just flattened out. i believe they were found on the 1LE option 82-92 camaros. ive found some on ebay, but they are 180 bux! and id like to know if i can find them cheaper.

any help you all have is great, and im open to pretty much any advice you all have too, so feel free to speak your mind. i should soon have some pics of the car up, but its not painted yet, so its still a lil ugly. neway, thanks for the help!