FACTORY SECURITY???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Default FACTORY SECURITY???

hi i am new to the forum, it seems as if the factory security is on, on my 1992 camaro rs. at first i thought it was battery but the accesories turn on but it makes no attempt to turn over, as well the security light is on. HOW DO I TURN IT OFF?? thnx in advance

Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Default RE: FACTORY SECURITY???

wierd. i went back out there a few hours later and it started right up. wat can i do next time to ensure im not stuck in a parking lot with the same problem.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Default RE: FACTORY SECURITY???

Your car has what is known as the VATS (Vehicle Anti-theft security) system. I think this started in 89 and all Camaros/Firebirds/Trans Ams had it. Basically, if you look at your key you will see a small black "box" with a little sliver of metal in it. That piece of metal is a resistor and it has a specific value assigned to it. When you put your key into the ignition, there is a reader in there that measures the resistance. There is a VATS module somewhere under the dash, perhaps by the steering column, that is programmed from the factory with the resistance of that key. If you try to use another key to start the car and the resistance in the module doesn't match the resistance in the key, the VATS Module sends a signal to the ECM and it disables the car for like 15 minutes I believe. Also, if the VATS Module is removed the ECM won't receive a signal from it when you turn the key so that also disables the car. In your case, what may be happening is the resistor or contacts in the ignition switch are dirty, causing an intermittent bad reading, disabling your car then but allowing you to start it later if the resistance matches. Or, your VATS Module is on the fritz or you have a lose connection. Since you said it started fine later on, I'm going to doubt that your key resistance is different from the one in your VATS module, because if it were the car wouldn't start ever.

Supposedly there is a way to disable this but I've never done it. I think I read somewhere reading the resistance of your key and buying a resistor of that value and splicing it into the wire coming from the ignition will trick the module into thinking the right key is inserted, allowing the car to start everytime. The downside to this is the VATS won't work if someone tries to steal your car or whatever. Maybe someone else will chime in with more on this subject.