A dissapointment, but hopefully an easy fix =\

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

HEY! Thanks for the picture! I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR ONE OF THESE haha.
It also kinda clears up a question about my radiator hose being right on my valve cover like that. I was thinking maybe that was making the fluid a little warmer than usual. I'll use this as reference to mine back home. And I know this is gonna sound horrible but your engine bay looks cleaner than mine!! haha I really need to clean it! Next project after I get her running!! I swear!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, is there some way I could just wire the fans back to the way they were wired when the original stock fan was in? zzz i'm sure there is. that will be fun v_v

Old 07-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Thanks. I had the car 5 years ago, and was the second owner. Original owner kept it original, and in nice condition. I sometimes regret selling the car because of how it was.
You might be able to wire the fans back, that depends on what the previous owner did, or un-did. Were the fan controls working like they should before yours was customized? I'm sure you don't know the answer to that one. I think at this point you're better off installing an aftermarket, adjustable temperature fan controller.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

You sold it huh? meh sometimes a 69 Camaro is plenty hahahah! It would be FOR ME! =D haha everytime I mention my car. someone mentions a 60's model i'm like "iknow I know! if I could get one, believe me I would!" But I love my 90. It's so new to me and working on it, i'm starting to like it more and more even when I get so frustrated! hahaa it's a pain sometimes. but after I overcome this, everything else will just become easier. I like knowing the in's and outs of my things! haha
Do you own a 69? I didn't see any cars in your garage..

Ok so the new updated Diagnosis is....
1. Drained all of the antifreeze out of the block and radiator..
2. Block drain plug was stripped out in the process.
3. Going to pick up a new plug for 2.99 at autozone and a big plastic tote from hobby lobby and some more antifreeze.
I plan on using this "cup" method, where you pour undiluted antifreeze into the cup and then pour it into the radiator, Then pour the distilled water into the cup and go 50/50 until it's filled up.

A question I have though. Should I use Distilled water or Spring water?
I'm going with spring water until further notice..

Yeah i'm finding more and more out about this car as I go on. I may just end up buying a new radiator.. I think it's the best bet. But until then I will just give it a good flush for the time being.
The person I bought it from had these huge 24 inch rims on them and when I got the car towed the other day, the towman says "yeah, I remember this Camaro. it used to have a big picture in the back window that said "Eat more P**sy" >__> I found that a little amusing haha. he also said "funny thing was, she wasn't a les" hahaha the things you find out about the car. It's a small town so I think he may know what he's talking about..doing it for 15 years.

another thing... I hear its good to flush the heater core as well? I will have to look up how to do this. My Haynes repair manual is doing me great so far. Dang, here's another question...
On the sides of my engine(v8) it says there should be two drain plugs.. I see one and on the other side it looks to be some sort of sensor plugged in there.. I really don't want to unplug that.. do you think it will be fine just un plugging the plug on the other side? I mean. i'm gonna flush it! I bought some 10minute radiator flush too.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ehhhh....yeah, the 69 you see is mine. And you don't wanna see my "garage", it's a mess! lol
I usually just use tap water, but mine is from my well, not poisoned municipal water.
The one block plug will be fine, as water seeks it's own level. The "some sort of sensor" on the other side is your knock sensor. You can leave that one alone.
The "cup method"....what the heck? Do you have a lot of spare time to kill? Take a clean empty container and pour half of the antifreeze out of the new bottle. Fill the bottle back up with water, take a marker and write 50/50 on the bottle, then proceed filling. When the bottle is empty, pour the other half of the coolant from the other container back in and top that off with water. Save that bottle when it becomes empty for the next time you want to mix.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Hahha the garage is that bad huh? Yeah man nice job on that 69. did it take you a while to build? Maybe I can find a forum post of just how about that came to you and what work you have done on it.

Good method to the antifreeze trick! Ok yours is simpler!! lol
I hope the water from my hose is ok... they say the water here in Arizona is rough.
It's all well water.
I guess i'll flush the block and radiator with the hose.. then pour the 10min radiator cleaner with some distilled water, plug it back up, let it run for 10min.. then drain it... i'm not sure if I should flush it again with the hose...I wonder if just draining it will do.. meh i'm gonna have to flush it until it's pouring clear I know.. So I think i'll just plug it all back up and pour the flush in. let it run, then flush it all out and just refill I guess.. once again thanks for all the help!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah so i jsut got home. Plugged it back up and now the engine starts and then slows starts to putter out... I guess i'll check the spark plugs now v_v probably have to wait until the 9th so i have more money Q_Q nooooo

Old 08-23-2013, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

zzz so new update. I have replaced the Ignition Module.
new vacuum hoses..
new cap and rotor..
new fuel pump installed..
I checked the spark plugs.. they're not acdelco but they seem fine.
I replaced the fuel filter fuse..
now when I go to turn the key the fuel tank is reading waaay past full.
Car still wont start... idk wth is going on now. It's Friday now and it's supposed to be a rainy weekend.
Next step when I get off is check some fuses.. maybe I blew one for the ECM..
which I totally hope is the case zzzz I just want it to work! why wont it work! Q_Q