A dissapointment, but hopefully an easy fix =\

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation A dissapointment, but hopefully an easy fix =\

SO I've been pumped about this Camaro I've been working on for quite some time now and just yesterday I was taking it to get an alignment and balance done.
As soon as I got off work I rushed home, put a little antifreeze in the reservoir and off I went! Wow it fired right up and sounded great. Drove so smooth. I drove it for about 5-6 miles or so and I was watching the temperature gauge, (because the person I bought it from said there was a problem with the cooling system) it started to over heat. I should have looked more into this problem.

I kept pulling over trying to let it cool down before I would try to drive it back home, but after the second time she wouldn't stay running? I figured maybe it was just too hot?? So I called a tow truck and had to tow It back to my house. I don't see any leak by the water pump so I think that is still good. I bought a thermostat and gasket.

The thing that worries me is that it wouldn't stay running? the temperature read about half way on the meter at this time...

I'm going to try and change the thermostat today and flush out the antifreeze. The tow truck guy said after I drain all the antifreeze out, I should put a water hose in the antifreeze opening and run the water through it while I have the car running and leave the drain plug open.

He said if that doesn't change anything, then check your timing.

Well I don't know how to check the timing =\
I just hope it will start again today after I do all this. There's no way I could have blown my engine. There was no smoke and it never got like that far into the red..

When I pulled over the first time, the antifreeze was close to the top of the reservoir and boiling (so over the full hot line) and it was no longer the nice green color that I put in there. it was pretty brown.
Luckily I was at a good will parking lot and I went in to get some things to drain some of the antifreeze... I drained as much as I could and then went back in to get another container to drain some more, because it was still over the full hot line, but by the time I came back out, the reservoir was completely empty....

I hope this is just a thermostat problem. I'm glad I got to drive it for a bit, it was a very nice ride. It's like being in a cockpit I don't know.. If anyone has any advice, I would be happy to hear some feedback. Thanks!
-B.W. Brown

Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong section zzzz

Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Isn't your car a 1990? A 305 or V6?
What section were you thinking it should be in then?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And based on what you're describing, it sounds like you may have gasket issues. This would be your best next step.
Check with your local AutoZone, they may have one of these kits on loan:

Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking maybe it should go in the "lounge" section? Umm
It's a small block 305 5.0L

Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Where the thread is, in the 3rd gen tech section, is where it wants to be.
It could go in the V8 sub-section, but your issue might be more generic than engine specific.
The Lounge is for more off topic, random type stuff.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Also I should add, It has no stock fan on it. The one that the engine turns you know?
Instead it has these two electric fans mounted right on the radiator. I'm not sure if it's enough for the engine,
so today when I get off i'm gonna go to the salvage yard and look for a stock fan.
I just want the thing running now. When I get more money I will start to replace things with better parts etc. Thanks Camaro 69!!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your car didn't come with a belt driven fan. And my 91 had only one electric fan, which was stock.
Are your fans aftermarket, and are they both turning on?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-31-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh it didn't come with one? Good to know! yeah they are electric and wired to a switch that is right next to my steering wheel. One small blue fan on the front of it and one on the back of it.
The one on the back kind of looks jammed in there.
There are two parts, the radiator and then the one that kind of looks like a radiator closer to the front of the vehicle. the fan is in between the two.
I believe they are after market. When I flick the switch it sounds like its spinning. I need to check if both are working though.
I sure would like a belt driven fan though. To me, a big steel fan sounds great for a heavy engine like a v8..
When I get off in 5 hours, i'll post some pictures of the fans.
A lady came in and told me that thermostats on older vehicles are key for the engine running properly so hopefully its just the thermostat. I'm going to fill it up with water when I get home after I drain the antifreeze. And just run it for like 3 minutes with the water and then flush that out with a hose.
Thanks for the info on the fan! saved me a trip to the U-Pick it.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your fans are definitely aftermarket, with jury-rigged wiring.
Picture of my old 91. This is what the stock fan setup looks like, as well as you can tell by the angle.

Name:  91CamaroUnderHood-1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  79.7 KB

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-31-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: A dissapointment, but hopefully an easy fix =\