car loses power when i give it gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Default car loses power when i give it gas

Hello, this is my first post and I hope someone can help. I have a 1990 IROC with a 305. This car used to be my dialy driver for many years.I receantly bought a new truck so the Camaro sat in my garage for about 7 months. It's up for emissions so I started it to make sure everything was ok. It took a while to start but when it did it idled perfect.I let it warm up and took it for a drive. When I give it gas it loses power, when I let off the gas it rev's up then drops back down to idle. I'm confused why this is happening. I put a new fuel pump in a year ago and just replaced the fuel filter and injectors. Any suggestions?

Old 01-27-2007, 02:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: car loses power when i give it gas

After letting it sit for 7 months, you need to go through everything with a fine-toothed comb...Check all your fluid levels, check for leaks on all your pipes etc. Turn your a/c on, and see if that affects what it's doing any....could possibly have a vaccum leak, there's many things....

Old 01-27-2007, 02:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

You said injectors? Damn, I would have guessed carbed.......anyways, she sat for 7 months.....

1) Mice in the air filter. Sounds stupid. Look for any foreign debris. Check it.
2) Bad plug wires/melted wires/arcing, old nastywires. Check em.....
3) Throw some gas stabilizer in her. 7 months wont turn it to gel, but it can cause varnish.
4) I know nothing about injected cars, but it REALLY sounds like it could be a choke issue. Find out what controls your mixture(computer, sensors, choke, gremlins...etc...) check it. If your sensors are dirty, busted, etc, she will idle fine but go all to ***** when you give it gas...

5) And for gods sake man.............SPELLCHECK! ( dialy, receantly, loses,) ...just bustin yer *****...[8D]

Old 01-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Overdrive Member

How much have you driven it? Could be the computer needs to relearn.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:20 AM

I drove it for about 15 min

Old 01-27-2007, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear member

I had a issue like this with an old Nissan I had a few years back. I'd check the
o2 sensor. That fixed my problem.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Vaccum lines, check and CLEAN everything. This is more than likely your problem, you just have a vaccum leak. Good luck...
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Change your fuel filter and drive it more. It may take a little bit of driving and a few ignition cycles. The computer may be relearning and it takes a few drive cycles some times.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM

Ok I took some of everyone’s advice. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, put fuel stabilizer in, checked all vacuum lines for leaks, cleaned and oiled K&N air filters, put in a new O2 sensor and drove it for an hour. None of these things worked but I did notice that when the car is in park or neutral I can rev the car with only a slight hesitation at the start. When I put the car in drive and give it gas that’s when it losses power or dies.

Any more suggestions?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Droid

Is the check engine lite lit?

Quick Reply: car loses power when i give it gas