Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/)
-   -   car loses power when i give it gas (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-general-10/car-loses-power-when-i-give-gas-10301/)

nece$$aryevil 01-27-2007 01:11 AM

car loses power when i give it gas

Hello, this is my first post and I hope someone can help. I have a 1990 IROC with a 305. This car used to be my dialy driver for many years.I receantly bought a new truck so the Camaro sat in my garage for about 7 months. It's up for emissions so I started it to make sure everything was ok. It took a while to start but when it did it idled perfect.I let it warm up and took it for a drive. When I give it gas it loses power, when I let off the gas it rev's up then drops back down to idle. I'm confused why this is happening. I put a new fuel pump in a year ago and just replaced the fuel filter and injectors. Any suggestions?

jtvyper456 01-27-2007 02:31 AM

RE: car loses power when i give it gas

After letting it sit for 7 months, you need to go through everything with a fine-toothed comb...Check all your fluid levels, check for leaks on all your pipes etc. Turn your a/c on, and see if that affects what it's doing any....could possibly have a vaccum leak, there's many things....

ScottD 01-27-2007 02:45 AM

You said injectors? Damn, I would have guessed carbed.......anyways, she sat for 7 months.....

1) Mice in the air filter. Sounds stupid. Look for any foreign debris. Check it.
2) Bad plug wires/melted wires/arcing, old nastywires. Check em.....
3) Throw some gas stabilizer in her. 7 months wont turn it to gel, but it can cause varnish.
4) I know nothing about injected cars, but it REALLY sounds like it could be a choke issue. Find out what controls your mixture(computer, sensors, choke, gremlins...etc...) check it. If your sensors are dirty, busted, etc, she will idle fine but go all to phuck when you give it gas...

5) And for gods sake man.............SPELLCHECK! ( dialy, receantly, loses,) ...just bustin yer balls...[8D]

MadMikeZ28 01-27-2007 03:08 AM

How much have you driven it? Could be the computer needs to relearn.

nece$$aryevil 01-27-2007 08:20 AM

I drove it for about 15 min

Andross 01-27-2007 02:52 PM

I had a issue like this with an old Nissan I had a few years back. I'd check the
o2 sensor. That fixed my problem.

Connerveritas 01-28-2007 05:50 PM

Vaccum lines, check and CLEAN everything. This is more than likely your problem, you just have a vaccum leak. Good luck...
[align=left] [/align]

MadMikeZ28 01-28-2007 06:27 PM

Change your fuel filter and drive it more. It may take a little bit of driving and a few ignition cycles. The computer may be relearning and it takes a few drive cycles some times.

nece$$aryevil 01-31-2007 07:43 PM

Ok I took some of everyone’s advice. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, put fuel stabilizer in, checked all vacuum lines for leaks, cleaned and oiled K&N air filters, put in a new O2 sensor and drove it for an hour. None of these things worked but I did notice that when the car is in park or neutral I can rev the car with only a slight hesitation at the start. When I put the car in drive and give it gas that’s when it losses power or dies.

Any more suggestions?

z28pete 01-31-2007 09:54 PM

Is the check engine lite lit?