Car failed inspection, and I need everyones help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:06 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Car failed inspection, and I need everyones help

i got the ball joints from autozone and they have the lifetime warrenty. im getting the brake hoses, centerlink, and front wheel bearings from napa because i have a tax free status and a 10% discount for being a 10 year customer. and its like 25 miles closer than autozone, and they know what they are getting off the shelf.

i spent today making a makeshift garage to work on it this thanksgiving with my brother. hes comming out for 4 days, so we should have it pretty much done and knocked out.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Lol do u live in a field lol??? That's a haul for parts?!?!?! I love living 1 mile away from Murray's Auto Discount an 8AM-12AM store!!

Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yea, my house is in a field. living in a historic area (Gettysburg, PA, turning point of the civil war, etc.), so business space is limited. i live south of the battelfield, and the autozone is in a neighboring town/small city in the other county. i think there might be one in the other county, another 30 mile drive the other way. (there are no ricers in this area, so autozone would die here. we mainly got muscle cars, trucks, off roaders, and farm equipment)

Old 11-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Overdrive Member

Does Autozone accept your confederate bucks?

Old 11-22-2006, 12:15 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

not anymore they dont. my brother rented some tools though, im guessing a creeper, ball joint press, strut compressor, and thats all the ideas i got.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:28 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

gotta get a ball joint press, and some grease. front end is all apart, the center link and struts are on. gotta get the old ball joints out and get the new ones in, reassemble, and get my rotors and pads in. there might also be a problem with the bearings. the old ones that came out are open needle bearings, and are slanted. the new ones are sealed bearings, straight, and i know wont fit in the old rotors. hopefully the fit in the new rotors.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:47 AM
Overdrive Member

The wheel bearings have always been a tapered roller. The problem is in your new sealed bearing. It is either the wrong part or you are looking at the bearing inside a new race and did not take it apart.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:30 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

alright, ill take back the bearings today, and take the old with me to match them up. and my brake rotors were supposed to be sent 1 day ups, and the company decided not to send it out til wendesday (ordered saturday), and wont be here until tuesday. our mechanic is making a house call tomarrow to press out the old ball joints and put in the new for $35

Old 11-25-2006, 11:58 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

well, the ball joints are in. i only paid $10, my dad paid $20, and the mechanic got some pie. my brother finished mounting the knuckles, got everything good and greased up. had a little issue with the passenger side brake line, and he thought he stripped it, but we got it on now. now all i need is to get the rotors and pads in from ups, get everything reinstalled, broken in, inspected, and im good to go.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Get youself a dial indicator and chech the runout of the new rotors before you finish everything up, and make sure to break the pads in, like I said before. Still willing to help you with all that if you'll let me drive it when it's ready. (I need a Camaro fix BAD, haven't driven mine in almost 2 years....)

Quick Reply: Car failed inspection, and I need everyones help