cam/stall problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Default cam/stall problems

1989 305(tbi) 1500 2wd

i have posted before about my brothers truck surging and dieing on us.
As it turns out after talking with tbi chips, that the computer cant read the aftermarket cam worth ****.
When changing a cam (back to stock) you pull the push rods out and then you pull the lifters out with a magnet or do i have to pull the intake? I have never worked on this motor and my brother wont touch it so bear with me.

The gentleman from tbi chips also told me my trans loads down the motor a bunch when i put it in gear after i gave him some vac readings.
The trans is not rebuilt and but has a new stock stall in it. Any ideas?
4k stall and run the **** out of it? i hear ya! haha jk

it has good fluid level and new fluid with a trans cooler
motor maybe has 4k since rebuild

Old 02-16-2010, 01:10 AM

ha it sensors words
i guess i will watch my mouth

Old 02-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, there are a few words you can't say here, like ****, or ****, or ***-****, or even ****-******.
Who put the hot cam in it in the first place? Does his engine have roller lifters? If you have flat tappet lifters, you want to replace them with the cam.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 AM

My brother and father put the cam in but it said it was puter compatible when they bought it. They lost the receipt and the shop that got it for them doesnt know what it was either. TBI chips said there are only a few cams that work with the 305tbi and he didnt name any that we recognized
the lifters are stock...idk what stock is
i want to replace them even for a stock cam?
its not much of a performance truck.

Last edited by san supra; 02-16-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't know what lifters you have, you'll have to look. You'll be able to tell once you get to the timing chain set. An engine that has a roller cam will have a retainer plate that covers the front of the cam and bolts to the block. You can't mix & match flat tappet lifters to a roller cam, and vice-versa. If you have rollers, fine. But if you have flat tappets, it can be an issue depending on how many miles are on them. Were they changed when the last cam was put in, or are they the original ones and the new cam was just slid in place? A flat tappet wears to the cam lobe, and not necessarily evenly. If you swap in a new cam using old lifters that have a lot of miles on them, you stand a chance of galling the lifters or the cam lobes because of uneven wear pressure on both surfaces. That can end up wiping a cam lobe or more, leaving you with some dead cylinders.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 AM

good info but i cant answer your questions

sorry i know its like talking to a automated phone system, lots of questions but no answers. haha

so do i have to pull the intake off to replace the cam? i would like to make this job as simple as possible

in my mind i would pull
waterpump
cam chains (he does have a double cam chain)
rocker arms (stock for sure)
push rods (stock)
get lifters out with magnet?
and pull the cam out
maybe take out radiator

Last edited by san supra; 02-16-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's certainly worth a shot doing it the magnet way, as long as you don't need to replace the lifters. The radiator take out is a definitely yes, unless he has a couple feet of clearance between it and the front of the engine.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if its orinal 89 block u will prolly have to pull the manifold it will have roller lifters and there are tons of cams for it i have done 2 tbi builds and they make good pullin engines because of the tbi design and heads but you lose high end it will have swirl ports and you seem to have the rest of the info you need

just about any sb2 cam will work and comp cam has aton of f.i cams and so does crane cams

im almost positive the manifold will have to come off and the keepers for the lifters also because the i do not think the lifters will clear the cam when removing

and so you know getting a good tune on a tbi from a company is hard to get a good one i had to send mine back muiltple times and well they always were ****in me around..

hope this helps