A/C causing stutter in while idling in drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 03:10 PM
Default A/C causing stutter in while idling in drive

Hey everyone! I'm new here. I just got my 1984 Z28 this month and got it registered today so I took it out to drive it around. It's got a carb'd 350 in it with A/C. When I picked it up and drove it home the A/C belt snapped so I replaced it and adjusted the tension. Today is the first time driving it since then and I noticed that when I was stopped at a light or stop sign idling, but with the transmission in drive the car stutters and the RPMs drop pretty low right when the compressor kicks on. If I turn the A/C off it doesn't happen, and if I'm in park or neutral the RPM's drop, but its not as severe because it idles a little higher in park or neutral. Could this be from the belt being too tight? A/C clutch going bad? Idle needing adjustment? or something else? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-22-2020, 09:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If I remember right the 84 did not come with a 350, only a 305 and it had a computer control carburetor that would have had a stepper motor that would have bumped up the motor that would have bumped up the RPM just as the compressor kicked on, You want to make sure your belt is not too tight as that can damage the front main bearing at low RPM. There are plenty of videos showing you the procedure for tighten the belt on youtube.

Many of these car have been redone with aftermarket carbs, intakes, heads. Your problem can be anything from a compressor that is getting hard to turn to too much CAM or carb and no low end torque Or you may just need some fine adjustment or clean on the carb.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-22-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
If I remember right the 84 did not come with a 350, only a 305 and it had a computer control carburetor that would have had a stepper motor that would have bumped up the motor that would have bumped up the RPM just as the compressor kicked on, You want to make sure your belt is not too tight as that can damage the front main bearing at low RPM. There are plenty of videos showing you the procedure for tighten the belt on youtube.

Many of these car have been redone with aftermarket carbs, intakes, heads. Your problem can be anything from a compressor that is getting hard to turn to too much CAM or carb and no low end torque Or you may just need some fine adjustment or clean on the carb.
You’re right the 84 did come with a 305 but at some point someone swapped a goodwrench 350 with a Rochester Quadrajet carb. I’ve only drove it home after buying and then now. I don’t particularly remember it doing this on the original drive home and I’ve replaced the belt since it came off on the drive home. Thinking it may be too tight. I’ll try to adjust it then go from there.