Blow-by an issue? (tranny as well)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Default Blow-by an issue? (tranny as well)

j/w if the oil seeping into the air filter is an issue

i keep the filter clean and oil full of course, but are there any long term issues that may destroy anything but the engine? (and the interior smelling like oil lol)

im worried about the engine, not so much as the rest of her. I do plan on a new engine in, and would rather not have to replace other parts as well

Transmission:
i find the car rumbling alot more than usual in 3rd or 4th gear (always 35-40mph, and its a 5-speed right?) and its difficult to accelerate. Sometimes i give a push, and i dont think its aprreciated =[
Is there anything i can do to remedy this? or is it just the age of a 25 yr old tranny?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the motor is very tired and in need of rebuild, so the trany is slipping like its on ice but the wheels dont turn.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:37 AM

thanks for the reply!
yeah... i need new tires as well.... somehow when i got the car there were 4 different tires. tread/width were different on all.... waiting on my paycheck >_<

Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your excessive blow-by is because your engine has a lot of wear. The problems it will cause is the mess you're getting, plus spark plugs don't like to work as well on a fuel mixture containing oil. Until you get a new engine, one thing you can do is install a catch can between the PCV and intake (air filter). That will break the direct connection between the two, and oil will collect in the can instead of getting sucked back in the intake. You can buy one or make one yourself.
I don't quite follow what you're saying about your transmission. Mentioning a 5 speed, I assume you have a manual trans then. Does it feel like the clutch is slipping? Do you see the rpm's climb but the car doesn't speed up?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM

i'll be looking into this catch

as for the transmission, its automatic... but cant you still count the shifts?

EDIT**
I also tried to find a symptoms:
The car rumbles normally (of course) but i get more of a rattling feeling, like it may fall apart, only in the range of 35-45mph... i'm fairly sure its not the speed, because i can do 65-85 without feeling it
And it also seems to have issues accelerating at that point, almost as if the transmission prematurely shifts. More than likely im just trying to push to hard and need to stop it. But even if i dont push, it still does it.

One last thing. There was a wiring issue with my car, where the tach was wired DIRECTLY into the battery... i pulled it as soon as i realized because it killed the battery twice. So alot of what i believe to be shifting is by ear and my listening to it

Last edited by Friday1391; 12-02-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear member

ur prob maybe ur cat is bad. thats wut mine did for a while and then blocked up all together and didnt want to go newhere either. it sounded like i had a monster-*** intake. check ur cat. camaro69 wuts a catch can. i have the same prob.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A catch can/container is used to trap oil from a vented line (PCV) before it gets sucked into the intake. Aftermarket ones like sold at Summit can be more costly than making your own.
Here's a pretty slick homemade one that I found: http://www.pbase.com/rsrock/oil_catch_can
Your automatic is a 4 speed, and you should feel it shifting. It's possible that it's upshifting too fast for you to feel it. Try shifting it manually and see how the engine responds. And leave it out of overdrive when city driving. You don't need it shifting into such a high gear at low speeds, because the trans will keep downshifting from o/d anyway as soon as you give it gas which can get annoying.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear member

so ill need 2 right?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mighty mike
so ill need 2 right?
2 catch cans? Maybe, maybe not. Addressing the original question about blow-by and a splooged up air cleaner, that would be the first one to connect it to. That vent line connecting the valve cover to the air cleaner is for emissions purposes so that oil fumes get burned and not just vented into air. You can install a push in breather instead of the vent pipe connection, but depending on the severity of blow-by, it might make a mess and it might not. If you run a breather, connect the catch to the PCV line. If you aren't getting any oil gunk in the PCV line, then try leaving that alone and hook up the catch inline to the air cleaner vent hose.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear member

are u talking about the port on the uderside of the cleaner. if so i dont have nething going there(its open). its grapping the fumes escaping through the vavle cover holes.

as for mr friday---check the tv cable. make sure itstight and no play.

Quick Reply: Blow-by an issue? (tranny as well)