88 305 TBI refuses to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Default 88 305 TBI refuses to start

I took a look around and couldn't find any post that really helped, so here goes.

I have a 88 Camaro with a 305 TBI in it. For the past 3 months, it has refused to start. It started when I got it which was half a year ago but for the past 3 months it doesn't start. Since the first time it didn't start I changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition control module, and injectors. Replaced the ECM as well. I am getting spark by holding a spark plug up against the block and cranking it.

I am not, however, getting any fuel out of the injectors. I replaced the fuel filter and I also confirmed that the fuel pump is working. Fuel gets to the throttle body but from there the injectors don't fire. From my limited knowledge the fuel injectors have one wire coming from the fusebox and the other wire goes to the ECM. From there I don't know as I'm no electronics guru. I am not sure what else would cause the injectors not to fire. I used a test light and the injectors aren't getting the signal to fire. Odd thing is yesterday I was getting some fuel spray but today I get none whatsoever.

Anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be? Or what I should test?

Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 88 305 TBI refuses to start

You might not be able to use a regular test light. I use an led light with a power and ground. The signal will look like a ground becaue there should be power consatnt on one side of the two wire connection And as your cranking watching for the signal it will flash quickly and a regular bulb may not light up enough to see. A noid light that is used for fuel injector pulse testing uses a neon bulb and plugs into both wires of the injector. The neon will light up more with the quick signals.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:54 PM

I made one from a 12V bulb. I tested first to make sure I was getting power to the injectors by connecting one wire to the "hot" part of the injector connector and grounded the other wire. The bulb lit so I know I was getting power, but when I would connect the wires to the connector and crank it I didn't see any light whatsoever. I can try a neon bulb tomorrow but I suspect I will get the same result.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Overdrive Member

I am not sure but dont think that a regular bulb will light fast enough to see a pulse. Just remember the pulse signal is ground so you need to try to hook both ends of the bulb into the hot and signal of the injector wire or determine you have hot and hook one end of the bulb to power and the other end to the signal side. Dont hook it to the hot side of the wiring while it is hooked to hot on the other end.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

test your throttle position sensor with a dvom and make sure that you don't have a huge dead spot. Also, just for caution sake, take the throttle body off and clean out the carbon build up really really good. get a couple cans of throttle body cleaner and a small flathead screwdriver and get ALL of the carbon out of EVERY vaccum port. Did you buy new injectors?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 AM

yup, bought new injectors. I have a brand new pickup coil that I will install tomorrow given the wiring on mine right now seems kinda shoddy. If that doesn't work I'll take off the throttle body and give it a very thorough cleaning.

If the throttle position sensor was bad, wouldn't disconnecting it show that? I've tried disconnecting it before with no luck, but I will test it anyways.