700R4 problems NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Did you ask the person you got the trans from if it was working fine for them? Also, are you sure the fluid level is up where it should be? Oh, and to your earlier question about the electrical plug; that's for the torque converter lockup controls, your trans isn't electrical shift (like a 4L60E is).

Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

I just want to get a few things clear, so bear with me, as you may already be a step ahead.

1. Its a 92, that would have come stock with the 4l60E(I know its mechanically the same as an R). So, If you are sure its a 700R4 you have, is there any check engine light on? This may be irrelevant, but I'm still curious.

2. Since you are sure as you can be that its not the convertor, or the pump how had the shifting been prior to it acting up?

3. If it was a boneyard transmission, it may have been tired and an improperly adjusted tv cable could have done it in really quick.

4. Are there any leaks at all around the transmission, and have you checked the fluid lately? Its not a sarcastic question...just curious.

It really sounds to me like burned clutches, but you mention that it behaves differently when shut off, this sounds like the pump could be influenced by trash, or such.....

Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Of the trannies you own, you need to decide which one is going to get rebuilt. Sell the other as scrap metal.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ 1. the 4L60E came out in 1993 and wasn't put in Camaro's until the 94 model. Starting in 1990, GM started calling the 700R4 a 4L60, but it was still the same identical transmission.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Did you ask the person you got the trans from if it was working fine for them? Also, are you sure the fluid level is up where it should be? Oh, and to your earlier question about the electrical plug; that's for the torque converter lockup controls, your trans isn't electrical shift (like a 4L60E is).

Ya they drove it to where they pulled it and then called me and I picked it up.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by djs383
I just want to get a few things clear, so bear with me, as you may already be a step ahead.

1. Its a 92, that would have come stock with the 4l60E(I know its mechanically the same as an R). So, If you are sure its a 700R4 you have, is there any check engine light on? This may be irrelevant, but I'm still curious.

2. Since you are sure as you can be that its not the convertor, or the pump how had the shifting been prior to it acting up?

3. If it was a boneyard transmission, it may have been tired and an improperly adjusted tv cable could have done it in really quick.

4. Are there any leaks at all around the transmission, and have you checked the fluid lately? Its not a sarcastic question...just curious.

It really sounds to me like burned clutches, but you mention that it behaves differently when shut off, this sounds like the pump could be influenced by trash, or such.....

No leaks actually really clean, just filled it changed filter, gasket and pan just for the hell of it. Has the right amount of fluid in it. This one did it as soon as it got warm. The trans before this did the same thing this one did. I have a really hard time thinking that both these trans failed the exact same way. I also got off the phone with my brother in Arizona, and he was talking about the speedo being a major player in shifting. Is this on, or would this be a waste time? and I also want to add that the speedo is messed up but I think that was a mistake on my part, can be fixed. The needle goes all the way to pinned as sson as the car moves and it bounces and quits and does that over and over again. But, is there any validity to this?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrogers24v
No leaks actually really clean, just filled it changed filter, gasket and pan just for the hell of it. Has the right amount of fluid in it. This one did it as soon as it got warm. The trans before this did the same thing this one did. I have a really hard time thinking that both these trans failed the exact same way. I also got off the phone with my brother in Arizona, and he was talking about the speedo being a major player in shifting. Is this on, or would this be a waste time? and I also want to add that the speedo is messed up but I think that was a mistake on my part, can be fixed. The needle goes all the way to pinned as sson as the car moves and it bounces and quits and does that over and over again. But, is there any validity to this?
Please don't get annoyed with some of us but you are denying what you yourself already suspect, but don't want to admit. The speedometer does not control your transmission. What you are describing is "slipping". Now it more than likely is worn clutches or perhaps a band but the tranny needs to be opened. You are using used parts, not rebuilt or reman'd parts. Since you aren't putting out a ton of torque, chances are that all your hard parts are in OK shape. So, you should shop around for someone who can rebuild a 700r4 and slap in a generic rebuild kit and you probably don't need to upgrade the servo or sun shell.

2 of my cars are Camaros. One is a 95Z and the other an 89 RS I'm restoring. The 700R4 in the 89 shifts fine (before i just yanked it) but i bet if i slapped it into the 95 it would slip real soon because of the torque that the motor is making. Since I'm redoing the engine I also plan on having a stock rebuild done to the 700r4 by a local guy for $400. Why not put in new steels and clean it out while it's off? It's worth $400 to have peace of mind.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 AM

Don't think I am getting annoyed. I am a member of a few forums, and these great tools for getting some ideas. And believe me I hate auto trans cause honestly I don't know much about them. And the only reason that I am putting the rebuild off is because of the fact that the trans are doing the exact same thing, at the exact smae points for the most part. The other problem I have is I haven't found a place here that will do a rebuild for less than $800, which sucks. I am a kid in college and thats a huge hit to school funds, my reason for all my own work. Just trying to work out all my options with out throwin parts at it cause then I have spent what I have in parts when I could have done a rebuild. Both the trans I have have been slightly modded, but I will always take help and knowledge when I can get it, only way to learn right? Thanks for al the input and if anyone else has anything willing to listen.