3rd to 1st Gen Body kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 3rd to 1st Gen Body kit

Do you think people would be interested in an elaborate body kit that replaces the 3rd gen front fascia with a 1st gen front clip, complete with repro headlights, grill and bumper. As well as a rear end kit that replaces the normal 3rd gen taillights with 1st gen ones, also the plate would be relocated and a chrome bumper installed. The rear end would be fiberglass but the front end would make use of sheet metal. And you would have the choice of stock, SS, RS-SS appearance, of course. You get rid of the ground effects too, like on the berlinetta, for a more classic look. It would be lots of fabrication but i think the result on a hardtop camaro would be totally worth it.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: 3rd to 1st Gen Body kit

Are you thinking about the possibility of going into production with this idea? I think your audience is going to be limited, and you would have to sell a lot of them to recoup your investment in tooling and manufacturing. I have both a 69 and 91, and each is unique in it's own way. If one wanted the look of a first gen, then get one. Or you can build one from scratch with a more modern drivetrain. To me, mixing the two body styles together is going to look like Dr. Frankenstein built it.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Overdrive Member

When you look at it you would be putting fenders up to a door that is not too different. Both are bassicly flat with a line about half way up and a step in the panel at the bottom. One has a wider top where the other has a rolled top of the door. Not that big a deal. What you do there to get the peaks on a fender to match a rolled door might be interesting. Then you have to do something with a cowl panel unless your thoughts were to stay with the same style hood and hiden wipers. Have plans on a fiberglass hatch to match the rear window?
Few may buy it but I would not expect it to sell many IMO. Sounds more like your do it for yourself prodject. Then take it to shows and see the peoples reaction.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Are you thinking about the possibility of going into production with this idea? I think your audience is going to be limited, and you would have to sell a lot of them to recoup your investment in tooling and manufacturing. I have both a 69 and 91, and each is unique in it's own way. If one wanted the look of a first gen, then get one. Or you can build one from scratch with a more modern drivetrain. To me, mixing the two body styles together is going to look like Dr. Frankenstein built it.

yeah let me just pull 20 grand out of my *** for that. just kidding. but seriously some people like me dont have that kinda money even for a wrecked 1st gen.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: rockin85
yeah let me just pull 20 grand out of my *** for that. just kidding. but seriously some people like me dont have that kinda money even for a wrecked 1st gen.
Glad you liked that one. But is rebuildinga third gen to look like a first gen going to be cheap or easy? Don't think so.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

1st gen front clip+3rd gen ***= no good, i dont think it would look right just dont go together. and i dont think the core support would fit a 1st gen nose, there would have to be alot of fabrication. it would be more than just a body "kit".

Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I would want to see a picture.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Didn't Hot rod or one of the other mags run a story last year about a company doing this? I can not imagin its worth it. If I rememer right they started with about $3000 worth Goodmark body parts and put another 200 hours in it before they where done with the shell.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: rockin85

I was kinda itching to say that.

But it would be a showcar, not a mass-produced conversion...