1983 Camaro Berlinetta, V6...tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Default 1983 Camaro Berlinetta, V6...tachometer

Does anyone know of a website that sells the original parts for my Camaro? Finding 3rd generation original parts in near impossible. Right now I need the original in dash tachometer.

thanx.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 1983 Camaro Berlinetta, V6...tachometer

actually 3rd gens parts are among the easiest parts to find, some easy sites. http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com
http://www.yearone.com/

thers a ton, im just going on 42 hours no sleep so thats all that comes to mind. most places wont carry just the tach youll need to buy the whole consule or go to a junkyard to find one. im not sure if the v6 came with them or not, but if you have the double needle setup, your going to have one heck of a rough time finding that tach, double needle instrument panels other than the dummy setup are hard and expensive to get ahold of.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:01 PM

The V6 models, or at least the Berlinetta, came with a tach. My speedometer has the double needle (MPH/KMH), but the tach does not. The tachometer has the oil pressure gauge built into it. Neither one of those sites offered oem replacement tach's and going to a junk yard to find one....well, I will probably be buying the same problem as mine.

Let me explain what is going on with my tach.....

I have hooked up a dwell/tach meter to the ignition coil (tach side) to determine what was wrong with my tachometer. The dwell/tach meter reads just like it should coming off the ignition coil, but when you add the reducer in line with the dwell/tach meter it reads really low rpm's. If I plug the tach wire into the ignition coil, it will peg out at max rpm. Unplugged, it drops to zero. The oil pressure gauge works just fine, no problems with it. I also tested the in-line reducer with a volt meter....when the ignition coil is pushing 12 volts, the reducer is pushing 4 to 5 volts. The reducer I am refering to is located on the fire wall directly above the distributor. If anyone thinks the tachometer itself isnt the problem, please post some ways for me to test other items. The ignition coil is new. Is the in-line reducer working like it should?

Old 05-29-2007, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry u miss understood me, i know they came with tachs, but i wasnt sure if they came with the double needle tachs, and like i said ive never seen just the tachs for sale, with all the aftermarket setups out there, theres not a big enough market for oem ones, especially when they were know for crapping out just like yours, either their off or they just stop working all together. your either going to have to get a whole cluster and take the tach out, go to the junkyard and hopefully find a good one somewhere, or get a aftermarket one.

on a side not, from tim eto time on ebay you will find factory oem gauges that people had sitting in their shops or just never got around to installing, i have seen a few tachs, but on rare occasions.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM

I just dont want to have to put an aftermarket tach in my car....it is all original now, and I would like to keep it that way. Besides the radio, of course. In your opinion, does it sound like the tach itself is the problem? How can I test the inline reducer/filter that I refered to?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Try it without the filter. I never had the filter hooked up on my 84 Z28 and my tack worked fine.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Well, tried that too......bypassed the filter and got the same result.....tach pegs out. I guess I am doomed to live without a "working" tachometer in my car.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: zeus8807

actually 3rd gens parts are among the easiest parts to find, some easy sites. http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com
http://www.yearone.com/

thers a ton, im just going on 42 hours no sleep so thats all that comes to mind. most places wont carry just the tach youll need to buy the whole consule or go to a junkyard to find one. im not sure if the v6 came with them or not, but if you have the double needle setup, your going to have one heck of a rough time finding that tach, double needle instrument panels other than the dummy setup are hard and expensive to get ahold of.
The first site you listed has a couple instrument panels that looks like they would work, but the speedometer doesnt have the double needle setup like mine does. Do you still think those instrument panels will work if I replaced the whole thing? Below is a picture of my "current" instrument panel....

Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

im not sure which years came with which wiring harness, they varied a little by the years, in know atleast 86-89 are interchangeable, im not sure about the earlier ones, but if it doesnt its as simple as switching around a few wires in the plug, simple stuff.

if i were you thou, i wouldnt do a whole new clusters, double needle setups were realy cool setups, i would find another cluster with the tach any pre 90 tach will work, and will fit into your cluster, i do belive its the tach, their known for doing it, look on ebay you may find a cheap gauge cluster(lower speed ones, like 85mph single needles you can pick up for about $30) or a simple way to test any guage, is to take a small battery and hook it up to the wires, the needle should rise at a very constant pace, shouldnt jump around or just peg, thats how i was told to test junkyard guages(ive been told it'll work with any electrical guage) someone might be able to tell u how to more detailed, i was taught it a long time ago but have never had to use it. it might not be the exact stock version but it'll look like it and only you'll know, if you luck you might find a double needle tach, ive been told they came on higher optioned z28's 82-84.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

and a side note, ive never had a filter on any of my cars for the tach, except a 05 truck