intermittent engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Default intermittent engine vibration

I recently added lots of goodies to my 79 camaro new carb, manual trans, plugs wires distrib but every once in awhile i start the car and get a vibration that stays even at high rpms, in gear or out it does it if i shut the car off and go in the store when i come out its usually better. i thought maybe i didnt tighten the bolts on the flywheel to spec but why would it be intermittent and does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Im getting ready to put new springs cam and lifters in next week but im wondering if its internal???? no knocking or ticking. it actualy runs very well right now other than the vibration isssue.... thanks

Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you ever figure out what is going on with your car?

If not, Right away I started thinking that maybe you have a cylinder thats not firing. or you got two plug wires crossed. Or is it possible you have the wrong balancer. or maybe your flywheel isn't installed correctly. I know they usually have a dowel pin or a hole between the bolts. Is it possible that wasn't lined up??

Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM

no i never did figure it out the wires werent crossed and ive got new plugs wires distrib I mean ive replaced almost everything minus pistons and crank assembly i just put new cam lifters springs intake carb i mean everything must be lower end but dont know why its intermittent maybe clutch pad coming loose or bad spring in clutch??? but still does it in neutral and doesnt change unless i restar engine after a=hile maybe starter not diengaging properly? its new too and started about the same time i guess i mean ive redone f n everything but its def worth it when its not doing it my local garage says its prob a bent axel while the cars not moving??? lol i just put my wallet away and figured id do better than him anyway lol

Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 PM

o and i checked flywheel its all lined up and torqued correctly clutch looked like it had some small cracks in the outside edge of the pads but not near bad enough to get rid of yet balancer has been replaced with new one it came apart when i pulled it off so i replaced it when i did the cam mounts are new i mean im missing something and i cant sleep and cringe everytime i start it in fear it will do it again

Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

are the motor and tranny mounts in good shape? Thats about the only other thing I could think of if you say the FW and clutch are good and no plug wires are crossed.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

The fact that it's intermittent is weird... but wait, so you replaced the balancer before or after you started feeling the vibration? I think you have a balance issue of the bottom end. I check and make sure you have the right balancer.