Dies when i put it in gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Default Dies when i put it in gear

Hi everyone,
i have a 79 rally sport camaro with a 305 and a rodchester quadrajet 120? whats going on is i can get the engine to warm up put it in to gear , leave my driveway, move about 200 feet and then it dies. Now all i get is i can start her up and she will run for a few seconds before she stalls and dies... you can prolong this by giving it a lil gas.... so ill do this for a min thinking its cold. and after a few mins ill put it into gear only to have it die right there.. now if i rev up the engine and then put it into gear ill move maybe 50 feet before it dies.... on occation when im trying to get it to start up with out putting into gear it will backfire thru the carb and ive seen flames pop up once already.... idead comments help anything.. thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Droid

Have you replaced the fuel filter, and checked spark timing lately?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Definitely put a timing light on it! Sounds like it's out of time, and that may be from excess slop in the timing set, which can only be seen if the timing mark moves around a lot. At the least it needs a good tuneup.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Speaking of fuel filters, the Quadrajet has a small filter that's in the body of the carb, and you have to remove the fuel inlet fitting to get to it.
It's in an easy to forget place, so who knows if it's ever been changed.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Is your car starving? make sure the fuel pump is working right. You should have a 3 way pump, if the check valve is stuck then it will not have enough pressure to put the enough fuel to the carb to maintain drivability.

Massey

Old 04-23-2011, 12:42 AM
AAA

after the engine warm up i leave my driveway, move about 100 feet and then it try to shutoff but continue running, this failure has a time and then disappears.
Please some help, any idea

Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM

hey guys, so alot has happened with this car. when i was in high school about 10 years ago the head gaskets blew, since then ive removed, rebuilt and replaced the heads, intake mani, ect. i brought the engine to tdc of cycl 1 and went thru and adjusted my valves just like my manual told me to. put in the distributor, moved the engine 360 degrees so cycl 6 was at tdc, finished up with the valves and then timed it. at this point i didnt know about plugging the vacuum line that goes to the carb from the distributor. < now that i know its been fixed. although im still not sure if its perfect for ~2k above sea level.> since my last post where the car would die after idling perfectly when i put it into gear. i have rebuilt the carb, changed the carbs fuel filter, added another fuel filter before the fuel pump, replaced the fuel pump, and all the rubber hoses on the passenger side of the car. before replacing the lines i used roughly about 70 psi to blow out any crud that could be in the lines. i also had to mess around with the choke for a while and my idling screws too. now it runs at a high idle till it warms up and then it will drop in rps. it runs much better now for about 5 miles before shuddering and then it will die again. when i check the fuel filter that i added just before the fuel pump it looks dry, and clouded red orange. is this a sign that i need to drop my tank and clean it? or do i need to somehow adjust the pressure so that more gas flows up to the engine/carb. Would a new gas cap help that? or should i remove the sock thats in the gas tank? Thanks all, i really appreciate the help.