Confused... 89 iroc problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
How long do you crank it for before it dies down? Starters are only supposed to be cycled for 10 seconds MAX. Then they get hot and lose efficiency, quick. Letting it cool down would explain why it restarts.

I'm saying that if cranks over fine for at least 5-10 seconds, I'd check ignition and fuel delivery. It should fire right up to begin with, so obviously you have a problem that isn't the alternator.
im thinkin maybe your forgetting something bro..........
OK FIRST OFF CHECK THE TIMING...THAT ALONE WILL COUSE EXACTLY WHAT YOUR DESCRIBIN(starts perfect w/cold but wont when hot and acts like the bat,or the starter may be faulty,USUALLY TO FAR ADVANCED IIS THE COULPRIT)SHOULD BE 6-10*BEEFORE IF IM NOT MISTAKEN

Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 19jacks71
im thinkin maybe your forgetting something bro..........
OK FIRST OFF CHECK THE TIMING...THAT ALONE WILL COUSE EXACTLY WHAT YOUR DESCRIBIN(starts perfect w/cold but wont when hot and acts like the bat,or the starter may be faulty,USUALLY TO FAR ADVANCED IIS THE COULPRIT)SHOULD BE 6-10*BEEFORE IF IM NOT MISTAKEN
That's why I said to check ignition and fuel delivery

Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

agree could be timing. could be alternator, all depends on if the battery is losing voltage while running. also could be a bad starter solonoid or starter. seen em work when cold and not when hot and start with a jump. could be coil seen them work when cold and not when hot but would not explain the car starting with a jump. im not aware of a fuel problem that can be effected by a jump start except not enough juice to operate the computer to fire injectors.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Question 84 z28 350 problems please help

Ok well i bought this 84 z28 used for 500 dollers. i understood it was a unfinished project when i bought it. It has a 350 motor and 350 turbo transmission from what i understand. It is a 3 speed automatic transmission with what i was told is a slap stick shifter. I dont know much about cars but im willing to learn and i wanna get the work done myself....

Well the first issue is the charging. Ive tested the alternator and autozone and advanced auto and it is working. The battery is brand new and i replaced the bolts on the side mount battery. It still wont charge. I traded the battery out twice and it wont charge. What i do know is when i bought the fan belt because the other one broke i didnt get the right size but i was told it wouldnt matter because as long as it is tight, and it is. I am really out of ideas and going crazy. Please help me out anybody if you can. Someone told me to wire it up as a "1 wire alternator" but do i just run a wire from the little bolt part on back strait to the battery? is that the way to do it? ok and now to the 2nd issue......

It didnt do this when i bought it but when im driving i hear a loud scraping sound under the gear ****. I dont know if the tires are too tight because i tightend all of the lug nuts on the krager rims or w/e and thats when it started. But while im driving i notice that the most of the sound is coming from right under the gear shift. Does that mean anythign to anybody? Please any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not a mechanic but im trying to learn. Thank you so much for reading and responding....

---David williams

Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
That's why I said to check ignition and fuel delivery
yes you did,
i dont always think timing when im thinkin ign or vice-versa ...i mean to say is the "ignition system" may be iin perfect workin order, but the timing is fobar...timing is not "just" an ignition issue,
it brings everything together...... rock on

Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you pull the alternator to have it tested, or did they test it in the car? If pulled, then you may still have a charging problem that is related to the voltage regulator, not the alternator. Be sure to have the chaging system checked as a whole, in the car.
As for the noise. If you only hear it while driving, and not while standing still, then it's usually drivetrain related. Could be as simple as something rubbing on the flex plate, or could be internals of the tranny. Could also be that the exhaust system is rubbing on the driveline. You need to jack it up and look for signs of something rubbing or loose around the driveline or trans. Hard to say without hearing it, or getting more direction form your end.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check to see if the small wire is getting power when the key is turned on. its to tell the alternator to start working when the key is on.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:07 PM

do you have headers? I once had a 84 z-28 with headers that acted the same way and found that while driving the excess heat would cause the starter to overheat and when I shut it off it would start hard or not at all,but after setting awhile and cooling off it would start fine. my fix was to get a mini starter and shield to block the heat from the headers.