Confused... 89 iroc problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Confused... 89 iroc problem.

I just gota 89 iroc-z. Great car. Drives fine and everything. Its gota 350tpi and a 5spd.( i know it dosent come stock like that ).

Any ways. When it sits over night, and i go to start it, it starts great, no problems or anything. But then after running for like 10 minutes, and i shut it off, it wont start again. It slowly starts to die and run the battery down untill it dosent even have enough power to crank. I had to jump start it to get it back into the garage, everything went good there. so i get it started, drive it into the garage, and try to start it, no start. Now the weird part. i let it sit over night, and it fires up great.... so whats the problem here, im really confused and getting tired of this.

This isn't no beater either, its a very clean kept car.

All advice GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

-C4maro

Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Sounds like the alternator is shot and the battery is running the car. Test the alt.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so does it start when jumping it every time? if so i would agree with cpl, sounds like the alternator is gone and u are running the battery down when running the car and then after shutting it off it wont start right away for lack of battery power then letting it set the battery regains enuff juice to start it.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 AM
4th Gear Member

As stated, I would go with the alternator first. Also what is the volt gage reading????

Old 12-12-2009, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by blackz87
As stated, I would go with the alternator first. Also what is the volt gage reading????
The gauge in the dash??

Thanks for the help guys, ill get the alternator tested and get back to you!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

So wait, you mean the battery goes down from you cranking it? If so I'd say you alternator is fine.

I'd check for fuel pressure and spark next time it does it. I'm leaning towards a fuel pump.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:42 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
So wait, you mean the battery goes down from you cranking it? If so I'd say you alternator is fine.

I'd check for fuel pressure and spark next time it does it. I'm leaning towards a fuel pump.

In this case we might both be right... which one is more right though? The alt is easier to test then the pump.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree, lol, beat me to it.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic

but would the fuel pump make the battery die down when i crank it? Then in the morning it starts fine even without being charged?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by c4maro
but would the fuel pump make the battery die down when i crank it? Then in the morning it starts fine even without being charged?
How long do you crank it for before it dies down? Starters are only supposed to be cycled for 10 seconds MAX. Then they get hot and lose efficiency, quick. Letting it cool down would explain why it restarts.

I'm saying that if cranks over fine for at least 5-10 seconds, I'd check ignition and fuel delivery. It should fire right up to begin with, so obviously you have a problem that isn't the alternator.

Quick Reply: Confused... 89 iroc problem.