The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
You're right too Damon, and they come in many different colors depending on your mood!

My question regarding the spindles is if there is anything I need/should be doing to them before putting them back in the Camaro? I know zero about them, but there was grease in there, so I want to check. I didn't do anything but remove the dust shields and clean them up. The reason I ask is that I read that there is a spindle washer and they should be replaced every time they are removed. Wondering if it doesn't hold a bearing inside there? !
Yes, there is a washer that holds the bearing in, and it's right under the nut on the end of the spindle. No reason to ever replace it unless it somehow got major damage, and you'd probably be replacing the entire spindle too. I would of course look the bearings over well, and make sure the races aren't getting pitted. I'd also replace the inner seals at this time, as it's easy while the hubs are off.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Yup, I agree with Val. There is a gasket type deal for the dust cover if I'm remembering right.

As for the Nomad, there is one here thats purple. It has been a Corvette inside for many many years. I wanna say at least 10. It has the IRS and even the dash from the Vette. I like the one in the pic too. But I'm partial to Nomad's.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

I just don't see where a washer/bearing could be on these spindles. Maybe I need to post a pic and ask where exactly they are located. There's just the shaft that the castle nut is on that goes into the spindle but nowhere that I can see to remove a washer or bearing. I have total confidence that what you guys are saying is correct, just don't know how to get in there. There's a thin rubber gasket, but that's it. I've got them soaking in fast etch currently and will be cleaning/prepping for paint when I get back from my daughters softball game. I'm going to post a pic and go from there...

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

OK, front and back of spindles. Had to throw another pic showing the awesomeness of molasses rust removal too. Just don't see how I could disassemble anything on these spindles to check a bearing and/or washer? Please enlighten me, they are hopefully getting put back where they belong in a couple more days!

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3055.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3056.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3050.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The washer goes on right before the castle nut, and after the outter bearing. Nothing goes on the spindle before the hub goes together. All the parts/seals go into the hub, then the outter bearing, washer, castle nut, and cotter pin. Sometimes there's a small stamped sheetmetal retainer that goes over the castle nut, but it is usually found if the nut isn't a "castle" style, to keep a regular nut from turning.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to have to take a look at the rotors and see if these parts are still in them. I know there's at least one bearing (outer) in the rotors I removed but that's about as much as I know right now. This was my first time working with these older style hubs/rotors where the bearings are like that. I'm getting closer to needing that stuff out and cleaned up/inspected anyway. Any chance that anyone has other pics showing what the assemblies should look like? That would be extremely helpful as well. Appreciate the info Vall, thank you sir!

Neal, I just noticed the pics you put up of the Nomad and yes, I believe that is the one I saw. They might have changed the wheels since the show (not sure, it was rolling) but it's a beauty for sure! I was a bit confused as to what Damon was referring to "in the pic" until I went back to the prior page and saw your posts, sorry about that.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Overdrive Member

The inner bearing usually is trapped by the seal on the back of the rotor. The bearing sits in a race. The grease seal is like 3 bucks so it will cost at least that to pull the bearing for inspection. Remember to to clean the snot out of them and if you dont have a bearing packer. Look up you tube for the proper way to use your palm and get the grease to "smush" through the rollers.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Front hubs are race, bearing, then seal inside, and race bearing, washer, nut, and cotter pin outside. Pretty basic. I pack them like Damon mentioned; a palm full of grease and pushing the bearing into it as I turn to get it all covered. Haven't had the luxury of a bearing packer since I worked at Cadillac in the late 60's. I think hand packing works as well myself.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

I looked at them yesterday, rotors are a little surface rusted from sitting on the shelf but they are still brand new. Almost all of the brakes were replaced the day before I bought the car. I was going to replace all that stuff but think I'll hold off and just use this stuff for now. Should I stay away from degreaser with the bearings as far as cleaning goes? If so, any suggestions? I really wish I could just re-install the rotors as is and not mess with removing the bearings, but that rust has to go. I've packed bearings before (for a tractor) so I think I can handle that. Anyone use the Eastwood Brake Gray paint before? I want to do something to keep the rust from coming back on the rotors.

Putting the last coats of paint on the remaining control arms today and hope to start assembly tomorrow. It had somewhat slipped my mind until last night but I have to replace one of the CA shafts due to damaged threads. That's gonna hold me up a couple days. Hoping to get a used one off Ebay as I'm not ready to spend another $100 on new ones right now. Anyone have a used shaft they're willing to sell?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm guessing if the rotors were new the day before you bought it the bearings are new as well. Only the cheapest of bastards will use old bearings on new races. The rotors usually come with the race installed. I would just make sure there is plenty of grease in there and put them back on.

Hey bad news Tim. There predicting 4.3" or rain tonight. Guess who still dont have a sump installed?

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build